No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Serraj predicts defeat of IS, says all are welcome in Libyan army

byMichel Cousins
June 4, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Serraj predicts defeat of IS, says all are welcome in Libyan army

By Libya Herald reporter.

Faiez Serraj (Photo: Okaz)

 

Tunis, 3 June 2016:

The Libyan army is now pulling itself into an effective fighting force that can defeat the . . .[restrict]so-called Islamic State, Presidency Council head Faiez Serraj has said. Misratan-led units were cooperating with members of the Petroleum Facilities Guard from Ajdabiya, he has pointed out, and are moving towards Sirte from either side.

“We are sure that the battle and the eradication of Islamic State will be carried out by Libyans,” he told Reuters in his second major interview in less than a week. “I think that what was achieved from Ajdabiya to Sirte and from Misrata to Sirte was a good achievement, given the capabilities that the fighters have.”

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Furthermore, he added, no one would be excluded from being part of the Libyan army, so long as they accepted the authority of the central government – meaning his government of National Accord.

Serraj also divulged that, so far, his administration had taken no decisions about who would head the Central Bank of Libya, the National Oil Corporation or the Libyan Investment Authority. Instead the aim at present was, as with the army, to unite the rival parallel institutions in Tripoli and Beida in order to restart oil production and rebuild the economy.

It was up to the Libyans, too, to deal with the migrant crisis, he said, but the problem also needed to be addressed in the migrants’ home countries.

The emphasis on security, national reconciliation and the economy was much the same as in a far longer interview with the Saudi daily Okaz published on Monday, although in it he added another top priority: getting displaced Libyans home.

In the interview, Serraj also rejected suggestions that the Presidency Council was a tool of the Americans, disclosed that he did not fear being assassinated, and that despite the problems that he was optimistic about the future of Libya.

In relations to those problems, he said that he had tried to reach out to House of Representatives’ president Ageela Saleh but that although the two had spoken on the phone when both were in Cairo, Saleh had refused to meet him. As to their relationship, he had no personal issues with Saleh, he said, but he had to hold a session of the HoR to approve the GNA.

There were problems with Khalifa Hafter as well, he admitted. He had made it clear in his talks with the general in January that the military leadership had to be under the Presidency Council. Subsequent attempts at direct communication with Hafter and his advisers had not worked, he intimated. [/restrict]

Tags: Faiez SerrajfeaturedLibya

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post

More heavy clashes with militants in Benghazi as Hafter and Thinni government try to neutralise GNA supporters

Misratans take Gardabiya airbase from IS

Misratans take Gardabiya airbase from IS

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.