No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Ghariani gives his blessing to Ajdabiya attack as two PC also indicate support

byMichel Cousins
June 20, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Ghariani gives his blessing to Ajdabiya attack as two PC also indicate support

Ghanian Tanasah

By Ajnadin Mustafa.

Ghanian Tanasah
Sadik Ghariani supporting Ajdabiya attackers on Tanasah TV (Photo: TV grab)

Tripoli, 19 June 2016:

Sadik Ghariani, still viewed by many in western Libya as the country’s grand mufti, has given his blessing to yesterday’s attempted attack in Ajdabiya by exiled Benghazi militants.

Speaking on his Tanasah TV station, the controversial cleric called on all revolutionaries able to do so to go east and join the fight.

In a related development suggesting that they too supported the attack, the two Islamist members of the Presidency Council, Mohammed Al-Ammari and Abdussalam Kajman, have disassociated themselves from the Council’s statement published yesterday condemning it.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

In his own three-page declaration, Ammari said he had not been consulted about the Presidency Council statement. He criticised the description of the attackers as terrorists.

The latter were members of the Benghazi Defence Brigades led by Ziyad Belam, the former head of the Omar Mukhtar Brigade in Benghazi and widely considered an extremist.  The attackers have also been labelled as terrorists by the GNA’s defence minister, Mahdi Al-Barghathi.

Separately, Abdussalam Kajman is also reported to be angry about the statement, complaining that there have been others recently issued in the name of the Presidency without the approval by all members.

Yesterday, he issued his own one-man statement condemning the bombing of civilians in Derna.

He is now said to be planning his own statement on the Ajdabiya attack.

To add to the divisions, boycotting Presidency Council member Ali Gatrani has also issued a statement about Ajdabiya.  He blamed the council, accusing it of supporting the attack.

The declaration by Ghariani has come as little surprise. Widely detested and ridiculed by the general public, especially in Tripoli, he had already on numerous occasions said that the real fight in Libya ws against Hafter and his Libyan National Army and that fight against the so-called Islamic State was of lesser importance

Those by Ammari and Kajman are seen as more serious, as they indicate a major and unbridgeable fault line over security within the Presidency between pragmatists and Islamists.

Tags: ajdabiyafeaturedLibyaSadik Ghariani

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post

New Benghazi militant unit issues Ajdabiya warning

Bani Walid hospital “may close” because of shortages but deliveries arrive in Gharyan

Bani Walid hospital “may close” because of shortages but deliveries arrive in Gharyan

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.