No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Presidency Council sets up investigation into murder of former Qaddafi soldiers

byMichel Cousins
June 15, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Tripoli, 11 June 2016:

The Presidency Council (PC) headed by Faiez Serraj has condemned the murder of 12 former . . .[restrict]Qaddafi soldiers released from jail by a court last week, and ordered a formal investigation to find out what happened and who was responsible.

The order followed a press conference today by a spokesman from the Attorney General’s office at which he confirmed the discovery yesterday of the 12 bodies – six in Wadi Rabie near Ain Zara, three that had been thrown from a moving vehicle near the morgue at Tripoli Central Hospital, and three thrown in the same manner near the morgue at Tripoli Medical Centre.

All had been shot in the head and the bodies showed signs of torture, according to Attorney General spokesman Sadik Essur.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

On the day of first direct Tripoli to Rome flight, MoU signed between Libyan Civil Aviation and its Italian counterpart

The whereabouts of a further seven soldiers who were also ordered to be released with the 12 are meanwhile unknown.

The killings, which have shocked Libyans, are already beginning to having political ramifications.

Accusations of responsibility are being directed against the Presidency Council and the controversial grand mufti, Sadik Ghariani. In the case of the former, it is on the basis that it has legitimised a number of militias – and it is widely believed that a militia must have been involved. In the case of the latter, the accusation is on the basis that last week he criticised the court for releasing past regime figures, claiming that it was against Islamic law.

The circumstances of the killings are far from clear and subject to dispute.

Ali Gatrani, who has put out a statement condemning the killings, has intimated that the men were killed while still in prison. He too blamed the PC for enabling it to happen but insisting that he should not be blamed because he has boycotted the PC.

He also called for not only a national but an international investigation involving the International Criminal Court.

However, Ali Al-Saadi, the head of the Ruwaimi prison in Tripoli’s Ain Zara district where most of the victims were held, has issued a statement claiming that following the court decision the prisoners were released into their families’ care and left the prison with them.

The 12 were killed the same day.

There has been no statement as yet from any of the families, confirming or denying the version of events from Al-Saadi, said to be a cousin of militant political hardliner Sami Al-Saadi.

The killings have also been condemned by UN Special Envoy Martin Kobler.

The 12 dead have been named as Mohamed Alwash, Ibrahim Alwash. Salah Swahih, Marwan Enbia, Asharf Lamlum, Ali Alwaher. Mohamed Alriahi, Rabih Khalifa, Wajdi Alhadi, Ali Trabelsi, Mohamed Abdel Atti, Akram Naser and Ali Mohamed Waher.

According to the Attorney General spokesman, they and the seven others currently unaccounted for had been accused of killing demonstrators in February 2011. The case finally went to court in 2014 and took two years to adjudicate. Last Wednesday, the judge finally issued a resolution to release them all, with the proviso that their passports were handed over to the Attorney General’s office.

On Wednesday and Thursday, said Essur, the families handed over the passports and the Attorney General gave orders to release them.

It was at this point that events become unclear. [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaTripoli

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
“Ambulance” suicide bomber hits 50 km behind Misratan front line

"Ambulance" suicide bomber hits 50 km behind Misratan front line

Tripoli municipal council warns power cuts could increase because of vigilante action against substations

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.