No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

IS forces at Mizdah “surrounded” claims LNA amid continued fighting

byMichel Cousins
May 17, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

einBy Ajnadin Mustafa.

Tripoli, 12 March 2016:

Fighting between gunmen from the so-called Islamic State (IS) and units of the Libyan National Army . . .[restrict]south of Mizdah, on the Tripoli-Sebha road, has continued today for the fourth day. According to a source within the LNA, it now has the IS force of some 150 men surrounded.

The fighting started on Thursday when IS set up a roadblock some 60 kilometres south of Mizdah (itself 170 kilometres south of Tripoli). It then arrested around ten people travelling along the road. All were released apart from a traffic police official named as Major Amr Bakoush. He has not been heard of since. A colleague with him managed to escape, however.

The IS forces were then attacked by units from the LNA, mainly Zintanis and Wirshefana.

RELATED POSTS

The first Libyan Bosnian Business Forum held in Misrata deemed an economic turning point between the two countries

Libyan – Bosnian Business Forum – to be held from 29 to 30 March in Misrata

In the subsequent fighting some five LNA soldiers are reported to have been killed, two of them yesterday, both said to be Zintanis.

The LNA source reports that the army has helicopter support from Wattiya airbase. It is being used to provide details of IS positions and movement, but there have been no air strikes.

The checkpoint set up by IS is some 40 kilometres south of the junction with the road leading to Nisma and Bani Walid. IS units are said to have been active along it and in the surrounding area for the past few weeks.

On Wednesday, reports of the Mizdah incident became confused with a IS operation at another checkpoint, in this case near Abu Grain, 100 kilometres south of Misrata. The area is the frontline between the Misratans and IS. The village of Abu Grain is reported in IS hands but the checkpoint, some ten kilometres to the west, is controlled by the Misratans.

Following a largely ineffective airstrike from Misrata on Sirte, IS forces launched a revenge attack on the checkpoint, killing three guards. A fourth, who as seriously injured, subsequently succumbed to his wounds.

 

[/restrict]

Tags: Abu GrainIslamic StateLibyaMisrataMizdah

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

UNSMIL calls for Benghazi ceasefire as fresh fighting flares in south of the city

Rada commander shot dead in Tripoli

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.