No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

IS suicide bomber kills 10 at Abu Grain

byMichel Cousins
June 17, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
IS suicide bomber kills 10 at Abu Grain

Part of a Bunyan Marsous video showing Sirte port

By Libya Herald reporters.

eww
Aftermath of today’s IS suicide bomb attack at Abu Grain police station (Photo: Social media)

Tripoli/Misrata, 16 June 2016:

A suicide bomber, presumed to belong to the so-called Islamic State (IS), killed ten members of the security forces today when he managed to blow himself up in front of the police station at Abu Grain, some 120 kilometres south of Misrata. According to Misrata Central Hospital, to which the bodies were taken, it is also treating seven others who were wounded in the attack.

Of the ten killed, four are said to be from Misrata, four from Sirte and two from Abu Grain itself.

There are reports that now put the number of deaths at 11 but these have not been confirmed and are denied by sources in Misrata.

RELATED POSTS

Third edition of Banking and Business Technology Forum kicked off in Misrata under patronage of Central Bank of Libya

59 containers loaded with boats seized in Misrata suspected of being intended for use in illegal immigration operations

It is unclear how the suicide bomber managed to get through to Abu Grain. Forces under the Bunyan Marsous operation room have been on the lookout for such attackers, knowing that they are IS’ main weapon of attack.

Earlier this morning, the operations room reported that its forces had managed to destroy two suicide car bombs in Sirte. It also reported another suicide car bomb attempt prevented yesterday in the west Sirte district of Zafran, although it is not clear if this is one of the two reported this morning.

There has been little movement either way in Sirte in the past 24 hours. IS was reported to have tried a counter offensive early yesterday, but to no effect. The Bunyan Marsous operations room later said that it had not lost any territory during the day.

It has made no comment about reports that five of its members were seized by IS forces yesterday.

There have been claims, however, that its statements have been exaggerated. Questions have certainly been asked about the extent of its control over Sirte port, with suggestions that IS still holds the port’s administrative buildings. Responding to these, the operations room today published a video of its people near the port, although it was taken from some distance.

Part of a Bunyan Marsous video showing Sirte port
Part of a Bunyan Marsous video showing Sirte port

 

Tags: featuredIslamic StateLibyaMisrataSirte

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post

Claims that Misrata is avoiding power cuts not true say locals, but “we don’t complain like others”

LNA must stop bombing Derna residential areas says UNSMIL, warns of war crimes prosecutions

LNA must stop bombing Derna residential areas says UNSMIL, warns of war crimes prosecutions

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Industry exploring establishing two-million-ton annual capacity “environmentally friendly” cement plant with China’s Goodwill Ceramic

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.