No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

US Sabratha air strikes forestalled suicide bombing campaign: report

byNigel Ash
February 20, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
US Sabratha air strikes forestalled suicide bombing campaign: report

kidnapped Serb diplomat Sladana Stankovic who may have perished in the raid (Srbija Press)

By Libya Herald reporters.

kidnapped Serb diplomat Sladana Stankovic who may have perished in the raid (Srbija Press)
Kidnapped Serb diplomat Sladana Stankovic who may have perished (Srbija Press)

Tripoli and Tunis, 20 February 2016:

The US air raids on Sabratha targeted militants, some of whom had travelled . . .[restrict]from Sirte to finalise the details of a suicide bombing campaign to be launched in Tripoli and Sebha, informed sources have told this newspaper.

The air strikes may also have killed two kidnapped Serbian diplomats imprisoned in one of the buildings.

It is being said that after the raid, significant quantities of bomb casings, ammonia, phosphate fertiliser and workshop tools were found in the ruins. Also discovered were stockpiles of AK47 ammunition.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

It is now being suggested that up to 60 IS members may have been killed in yesterday’s US raid while five managed to escape. One Tunisian fighter held by the Sabrathans is reported to have provided this information. He may have been among the injured who were shown on social media in the town’s hospital. They appear to have received minimal care. One man with an injured leg was lying face down on the floor beside an empty bed.

It is unclear if the Tunisian fighter also gave any details of the two imprisoned Serb diplomats who, it is being claimed, were also killed in the airstrikes.  The Tunisian’s information may also have been incomplete since two separate buildings appear to have been hit.

Informed sources have told the Libya Herald that one location that was struck was a two-storey residential building in the Taleel part of the town. It is being claimed that this is owned by a named local man, who is said to be an enthusiastic IS supporter. He has been linked with people-trafficking as well as the reception of newly-recruited IS fighters.

The second target was the former police training camp in the Al-Qasr area where Ansar Al-Sharia is believed to have set up a base in 2013.

In his briefing earlier today admitting the airstrikes, Pentagon spokesman Peter Cook said that the IS targets had been watched for weeks. It is likely that aerial surveillance and communications intercepts were complemented by local intelligence. If the two Serb diplomats were indeed in one of the buildings that were struck, it will be wondered why US raid planners did not know this.

The two people, pictures of whose bodies have been posted on social media, do bear a close resemblance to the kidnapped diplomats Sladjana Stankovic and Jovica Stepic, seized last November as they travelled in a convoy from Tripoli to Tunis. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaraidSabrathaSerb diplomatSladana Stankovic

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Forty corpses, survivors and all evidence flown to Tripoli confirms PPO

Forty corpses, survivors and all evidence flown to Tripoli confirms PPO

Pentagon “still assessing” reports Serb envoys killed in Sabratha raid

Pentagon "still assessing" reports Serb envoys killed in Sabratha raid

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.