No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Sebha council calls for getting back to ‘normal life’ after 12 people killed in clashes

byMichel Cousins
August 11, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Mustafa Khalifa,

Ghat 10 August, 2015:

The municipal council in Sebha is calling on people to continue with normal life and had . . .[restrict]assuring them that the “situation is under control,” according to a public statement.

The council asked business owners to “resume” their daily work and remove road barriers after recent clashes between forces ostensibly loyal to the continuing General National Congress (GNC) and supporters of the former regime left 12 people dead and more than 40 others injured.

It was initially reported that five people had been killed in the clashes: four pro-Qaddafi protestors and a member of the security forces.

RELATED POSTS

Libya and Turkey discuss increasing flights, including to Sebha

NDA launches construction of Sebha’s Rose Palace Hotel – implemented by Turkey’s Nova Global company

The surge in casualties, according to Abdullah Ouhadh, head of Sebha Medical Centre, was a result of indiscriminate shelling of civilian residential areas.

The head of investigations at Sebha’s Gardah police station, Yahya Shuwail, said, “two foreign nationals were identified among the dead” and the rest were Libyans, including a woman.

“Security is everyone’s responsibility and any breaches should be reported to the authorities,” the council said in its statement.

The clashes erupted Saturday in the centre of Sebha when people carrying green flags and banners supporting the former Qaddafi regime staged another protest at the death sentences on Saif Al-Islam, Abdullah Senussi and seven other prominent former regime figures.

According to the GNC-backed Third Force, it fired shots to disperse the protest after armed men hiding among the protesters opened fire on it.

The Third Force, mainly from Misrata, is supposed to be in charge of securing Libya’s vast southern region.

In a statement issued last week, the force warned people against staging protests and raising the old regime’s green flags.

Mohammed Kulaioan the spokesman for the Third Force militia said he met with a delegation from the Qaddadfa tribe and, in return for the ceasefire, they pledged to take down the old regime’s flags, reopen the roads and end the protest.

“In case of non-compliance with the agreement, they will be confronted,” Kulaioan said.

A delegation from the Zintan tribe has reportedly arrived in Sebha for reconciliation talks with the Qaddadfa tribe about the recent violence and ending the bloodshed in the city. [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaSebha

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Indians held in Sirte safe, says embassy; believes they will be released soon

Jebel Akhdar forest facing disaster over illegal charcoal trade, Agriculture department warns

Jebel Akhdar forest facing disaster over illegal charcoal trade, Agriculture department warns

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.