No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Sebha wants free trade zone

byMichel Cousins
February 22, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Jamie Prentis.

Tunis, 21 February 2016:

The creation of a free trade zone in Sebha has been discussed by officials from the town’s municipal council and the local division of the Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Agriculture.

A statement on the municipality’s Facebook page today said it could help prevent the illegal trading of cars in the south and stop the phenomenon of people-trafficking that is rife in the area around Sebha.

A free trade zone would, it was said, encourage the youth of Sebha to pursue legal ways of making money. The potential economic gains for the surrounding towns and districts were also acknowledged.

RELATED POSTS

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

Wafa Fezzan Initiative launches its first phase through installation of solar power systems on farms in Bawanees region

Whilst the municipal council insisted it would do all it could to create such a zone, the chamber noted still need approval from the government.

The only free trade zone in Libya at present is that at Misrata. It was created in 2006. The same year also saw the former regime also approve the creation of a free trade zone at Zuwara on the Tunisian border, but it never came to fruition although Tunisia says it plans one on its side of the frontier.

There have also been proposals for free trade zones in Benghazi and in the Bay of Bomba, betweem Derna and Tobruk. But they too remain on the drawing board.

Meanwhile, one of the country’s two main mobile service providers, Libyana Telecom, has announced it is to redevelop its network in southern Libya.

This will include the replacement and renovation of old equipment and the provision of new electricity generators to support service stations.

The director of Information Technology in the south western town of Ghurayfa, near Obari, relayed the information to pro-Presidency Council LANA News Agency.

In other southern development, Traghan, south of Sebha, has held a two-day round table meeting to find ways to end cooking gas shortages. Whilst last month’s crisis in Fezzan appears to be easing, problems still persist in some areas.

The Traghen discussions, attended by consumer associations and shop owners from Traghan and further afield, looked at the obstacles faced by locals in obtaining cooking gas.

Earlier this month, House of Representatives (HoR) members from the south formed a joint committee with local municipalities in order to improve services in Fezzan.

Yesterday, the members ended their boycott of the HoR over the apparent lack of interest in Fezzan and the dire economic situation facing residents, saying that matters had improved.

Tags: FezzanGhurayfaLibyaSebhaTraghen

Related Posts

Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Eastern travel ban on single women suspended

Last Indian IS hostage released

Last Indian IS hostage released

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

One-Stop Shop system for company registration to be activated – again!

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.