No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Western allies warn of growing terrorist presence in Libya

byMichel Cousins
February 7, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tunis, 7 February 2015:

The governments of France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the UK and the US have expressed fears that . . .[restrict]terrorist groups are gaining a foothold in Libya because of the continuing fighting in the country.

“We are concerned by the growing presence of terrorist organisations in Libya, and by the attacks on the Corinthia last week and on the Mabrook oil field earlier this week,” the six said in a joint statement issued yesterday.

Condemning Tuesday’s attack on the Sidra oil terminal by Operation Sunrise forces, the western allies warned that “the only people who ultimately benefit from continued fighting over Libya’s oil terminals and cities are terrorists”.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts former head of the Libyan mission to Italy

Whiba Group’s Al-Dafniya Food Complex realizes first exports to France

Although the Beida-based Libyan government of Abdullah Al-Thinni has similarly spoken of the growing threat from Islamist militants, notably the Islamic State, the Tripoli-based administration of Omar Al-Hassi and its supporters have consistently denied their existence not just in the capital but in the country, instead blaming all attacks on Khalifa Hafter and the House of Representatives.

In their warning, the six governments said that the Sidra oil attack undermined efforts of those Libyans who were trying to bring peace and stability to the country through the UN-led dialogue talks.

“We share the UN’s assessment that these attacks constituted a major break in the public pledges made by the main commanders to refrain from actions that could harm the political process,” the statement read.

The statement was referring to the declaration on 16 January by the spokesman of the Misrata-based Central Libya Shield forces, Ahmed Hadia, that it would join the ceasefire called by delegates to the dialogue talks in Geneva. Central Libya Shield had been a major component in Operation Sunrise assault on Sidra, begun some eight weeks ago.

However, it is reported that the Misratans involved in Tuesday’s attack were primarily those of the Haten brigade of leading Misrata hardliner Salah Badi. At least 24 people died, in the offensive, mostly Misratans.

UNSMIL has already condemned the Sidra attack.

The six said that there could be no military solution to Libya’s problems.

“We call on all Libyan parties to participate constructively in the UN-led dialogue in order to reach rapidly a sustainable ceasefire and a national unity government. We are encouraged by the progress made in that direction so far and call on all concerned parties to strengthen their effort for this process, which is crucial to Libya’s future.”

They also said that they were “deeply concerned” about the economic consequences of the current crisis.

“In light of low oil production and prices, Libya faces a budget deficit that has the potential to consume all of its financial  assets if the situation does not stabilise.” [/restrict]

Tags: FranceGermanyIslamic StateItalyLibyaSpainterroristsUKUSA

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts five Waha bank employees for LD 131 million corruption

February 22, 2026
Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Top terror suspects arrested in eastern Libya: Interior Ministry

Small Benghazi demo with some big gripes

Small Benghazi demo with some big gripes

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benina Airport installs first-ever ILS/DME Navigational Aids System by Spain’s Sky Navigation Systems

Sirte Oil Company completes drilling of horizontal well C345H in the Ziltan field with production rate of 2,000 barrels per day

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.