No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

“General Hafter is the person who sparked this war” claims Belhaj

byNewsdesk2
February 6, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
“General Hafter is the person who sparked this war” claims Belhaj

Abdul-Hakim Belhaj (file photo)

By Libya Herald staff.

Abdul-Hakim Belhaj  (file photo)
Abdul-Hakim Belhaj (file photo)

Tripoli, 6 February 2015:

Abdul-Hakim Belhaj had pinned the blame for the current political crisis wholly on Khalifa Hafter.  The Opration . . .[restrict]Dignity leader was a criminal for beginning the war currently being waged in Libya, the former head of the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group (LIFG) said in an interview published by Euronews.

“It started when retired General Khalifa Hafter came back onto the scene, ”, he said in a statement in which, bizarrely, he also implied that Hafter had formed the House of Representatives (HoR) in Tobruk.  Belhaj considers it illegitimate.

Belhaj also asserted that the UAE was supporting Hafter, providing “aircraft, weapons, ammunition and armour to those who are killing the Libyan people”.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The sole legitimate armed group, he said, was Libya Dawn. Prime Minister Abdullah Al-Thinni, when he was defence minister, gave Libya Dawn authority, Belhaj maintained. It was now carrying out the orders of the legitimate ruling body—the General National Congress (GNC).

Asked about the dialogue talks, Belhaj said he supported them and had called for them, and had himself met with UNSMIL representatives. However, he did not think the Geneva meetings would be effective because people “far removed from what is influencing politics in Libya” were invited. He did not elaborate further on this.

In one of several questions alluding to Belhaj’s past as leader of the LIFG, Euronews asked, “Are you a fighter under the guise of a politician?” Belhaj did not directly answer this question, however earlier in the interview he claimed that he was no longer a fighter but a politician and insisted he was not currently leading an armed group.

“The Libyan Islamic Fighting Group,” said Belhaj, “has been terminated. It ceased to exist at the downfall of the Qaddafi regime.”

He was, he said, now leading the Al-Watan Party. As a politician his goal was to “put the interests of the country and its citizens first,” he claimed, speaking of his desire to facilitate discussions with the various factions and work to find an end to the present crisis.

Belhaj also did not directly answer a question regarding his current “control” of Tripoli. He responded instead by talking about how a series of weak governments since the revolution have led to Libya being “awash” with militias.

When asked about the action he had filed against the British government, accusing it of being involved in his torture while he was in a Libyan prison under the Qaddafi regime, Belhaj said he deserved an acknowledgement of culpability and an apology from the British government. [/restrict]

Tags: Abdul Hakim BelhajGeneral Khalifa HafterLibyaLibyan Islamic Fighting Group

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts five Waha bank employees for LD 131 million corruption

February 22, 2026
Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Libya Dawn men and supplies captured in Tajoura

Authorities bust food racketeering operation in Benghazi

Authorities bust food racketeering operation in Benghazi

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Sirte Oil Company completes drilling of horizontal well C345H in the Ziltan field with production rate of 2,000 barrels per day

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts five Waha bank employees for LD 131 million corruption

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.