No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

HoR approves government budget

byMichel Cousins
December 17, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tripoli, 23 October 2014:

The Libyan 2014 budget was finally approved by the House of Representatives (HoR) during its . . .[restrict]evening session yesterday just nine months after it was originally presented to the former General National Congress by the then prime minister Ali Zeidan.

In June, after much argument, Congress approved a watered down budget of LD 56.5 billion, just before its term ended.  However, the Central Bank of Libya then refused to disburse the funds to the Thinni government, challenging its legality.

Yesterday, the budget approved by the HoR was set at LD 53.2 billion, almost the same as that requested by Zeidan in February.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

“One hundred and twenty-seven members voted to approve it,” HoR member of Benghazi Aisa Al-Araibi told the Libya Herald.” The HoR had, however, made some amendments to the government’ proposals, having taken into consideration the fact that oil sales had been frozen for months because of the blockade on the oil terminals.

Al-Araibi added that the budget had been approved by all finacial institutions of the country “including the Libyan Central Bank and the Audit Bureau”.

For his part, Abdulsalam Nassiya (Zintan), a member of the HoR’s Finance Committee, said that the Finance Ministry could now legally make all the financial disbursements that had previously been blocked.

It remains to be see, however, if the budgeted funds are handed over by the Central Bank to the various ministries and government bodies.

The HoR sacked Saddek Elkaber as chairman of the CBL last month, replacing him with his deputy Ali Salem Hibri, but he has refused to go, claiming, somewhat surprisingly, that the HoR does not have the right to do so. Although he is based much of the time in Malta, the CBL in Tripoli is thought to still under his control.

The CBL that has approved the budget, however, is the one under Hibri but setting up a working parallel Central Bank structure in Beida or elsewhere that has access to Libya’s large treasury abroad is not something that can be done quickly.

Meanwhile Nuri Abu Sahmain wants to give a budget to Omar Al-Hassi’s anti-government in Tripoli.  His rump Congress – reportedly all 18 of them – similarly discussed their plans yesterday. [/restrict]

Tags: 2014 budgetCentral Bank of LibyaLibya

Related Posts

LAIP delegation visits Maputo, Mozambique to recover seized rice project
Business

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio holds coordination meeting with Nigerian embassy on Transit Corridors Project

November 28, 2025
Libyan Export Promotion Centre changes to become Libyan Export Development Authority – new logo adopted
Business

Libyan Export Development Authority to launch subsidised direct shipping service to Sub-Saharan African ports

November 28, 2025
LBBC concludes productive Benghazi visit strengthening UK-Libya business collaboration
Business

Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

November 28, 2025
Toyota Libya starts training 8 youth as part of its regular “Discover Your Talent” training programme
Business

Toyota Libya signs MoU with Ministry of Labour and Rehabilitation to strengthen cooperation in training and skills development

November 27, 2025
NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Business

NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

November 27, 2025
LBC leading delegation to Miami for America’s Food and Beverage Show – 18 to 20 September
Business

Libyan Business Council hosts Italian Consul and Commercial Attaché to discuss Italy’s Residency and Investment Programmes

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Derna militants kill 2 men from Shahat in failed prisoner exchange

At least five killed in clashes as violence continues in Benghazi

At least five killed in clashes as violence continues in Benghazi

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.