No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Ceasefire in Sebha in time for Eid

byMichel Cousins
October 2, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Benghazi, 2 October 2014:

Normality returned to Sebha today after members of the Awlad Suleiman and Qaddadfa tribes agreed overnight a . . .[restrict]new ceasefire to allow Eid to be celebrated in peace in the south town.

“It is very good today,” a local reporter told the Libya Herald.  “There is no more bombing. It has stopped.” Instead, he said, “the shops are open and there are many cars on the streets. People are shopping for Eid and there is fuel in the [petrol] stations.”

Banks, pharmacies, and cafes were also open, with banks crowded with customers withdrawing cash for Eid. Animal markets were doing brisk business as locals bought their sheep for Eid.

RELATED POSTS

Third edition of Banking and Business Technology Forum kicked off in Misrata under patronage of Central Bank of Libya

59 containers loaded with boats seized in Misrata suspected of being intended for use in illegal immigration operations

The ceasefire was agreed, according to Libyan new agency LANA, following mediation by the Undersecretary of the Ministry of Defence in the Southern Region, Taher Ashbian, and local elders and tribal leaders. According to the local reporter, however, the peace is thanks to Misratan troops from the Third Force stationed in the town. They moved into the Manshiya district and enforced it, he said.

Both the Awlad Suleiman and Qaddadfa have reportedly agreed not to engage in any fighting for 20 days and that after Eid there will be further talks as part of the national dialogue efforts to make the truce permanent.

According to the National Committee for Human Rights in Libya, the four days of indiscriminate heavy shelling resulted in over 15 people killed, including two children. Dozens had been injured it said, confirming reports that homes had been targeted while ordinary civilians were still inside. In addition to the dead and wounded, many people had been left homeless as a result.

This amounted to gross violations of human rights the committee said, and it called on the House of Representatives and the government to ensure that those responsible were brought to justice. It had gathered detailed information on the incidents and wanted them to be submitted to the International Criminal Court. [/restrict]

Tags: Alwad SuleimanLibyaMisrataQaddadfaSebhaThird Force

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Eid Al-Adha – a time for reflection for many Libyans

Eid Al-Adha - a time for reflection for many Libyans

As many as 30 killed in Benghazi suicide attacks

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.