No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

“Floating hotel” for HoR arrives in Tobruk port – Tobruk City Council member

bySami Zaptia
August 19, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

Tripoli, 19 August 2014:

Tobruk City Council member Freeh Yaseen in a live TV interview yesterday confirmed that the House of . . .[restrict]Representatives’ (HoR) floating hotel, a small cruise liner, had arrived at the port of Tobruk.

Yaseen, speaking on the now regular end of HoR session programme transmitted live from Dar Essalam hotel in Tobruk by the privately owned Al-AssemaTV channel, said that it will be used as temporary residence for HoR members.

The Tobruk Councilman said that the hotel could accommodate about 200 people and would probably be used to house all the HoR members in one location. He explained that currently many HoR members are dispersed in different hotels because the Dar Essalam hotel was occupied with other people associated with the HoR.

RELATED POSTS

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

Economic diversification conference held in Benghazi by HoR and CBL

Yaseen also said that the hotel could be used for visiting VIPs as well as members of local and international media.

He also explained that although the small cruise liner had already arrived a few days ago, it had not docked at its intended quay and would do so in the next day or two.

The Councilman was clearly delighted that his city had been given the historic opportunity to host a democratically elected Libyan parliament, but admitted in all honesty that his city was “surprised by the last minute decision” to be asked to host the HoR.

It will be recalled that Libya’s democratically elected parliament was supposed to convene in Libya’s second largest city, and historically during the kingdom years its second capital, Benghazi.

However, due to the poor security situation in Benghazi, as well as the fighting between militias in the obvious second option to host the HoR, Tripoli, the HoR had to frantically search around for a last minute base days prior to its date of convening.

“It was a fait a accompli” the Tobruk Councilman admitted, “we had no choice, and in all honesty, we were not ready to host it. But we carried it off successfully”, he concluded on a self congratulatory note.

The HoR had approved the step in an effort to solve the problem of overcrowding in the small city of Tobruk and due to the limited range of quality hotels in the eastern city located about 200 km from the Egyptian border.

Unconfirmed reports say that the cost of hiring the cruise liner for 45 days, believed to be from Italy, is in the region of LD 5 million. [/restrict]

Tags: cruise linerDar Essalam hotel Tobrukfloating hotelHoR House of RepresentativesTobruk

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Government pulls plug on Wataniya and Rasmiya TV channels

One Saiqa member killed and three injured in Benghazi clashes

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.