No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Eight feared killed in three days of Sebha violence

byNigel Ash
October 1, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Seraj Essul.

Tripoli, 21 June 2014:

Three days of blood-letting in Sebha during which eight people may have died and at least . . .[restrict]a dozen been injured, appeared to have ended tonight after Misratan peacekeepers brokered talks between tribal elders.

A member of the Third Force from Misrata, which has been in the city since January, trying to keeping warring parties apart, told the Libya Herald that the situation had been confused, with partial information coming from all sides.

As far as he knew, the clashes began when a member of the Qaddadfa tribe was killed, allegedly by a member of the rival Awlad Suleiman tribe.  This triggered three revenge attacks, in which two Awlad Suleiman and another Qaddadfa were slain.

RELATED POSTS

Third edition of Banking and Business Technology Forum kicked off in Misrata under patronage of Central Bank of Libya

59 containers loaded with boats seized in Misrata suspected of being intended for use in illegal immigration operations

Fighting reached a new intensity today with a further four deaths as the Awlad Suleiman allegedly brought in mortars which were fired indiscriminately. Two women are reported to have been killed in the bombardment. One salvo not only hit the house of a Qaddadfa tribesman but also the property of his Tebu neighbour. This brought Tebu into the fight  alongside Qaddadfa in a battle which threatened to get out of control.

Third Force commanders however persuaded elders from all sides to meet this afternoon and a ceasefire was agreed.   The fierce conflict had turned parts of the central district of Al-Manshiya into a ghost town. At least four cars were burnt out. One woman told this newspaper that she had been too frightened to go outside and had stayed in her home all day.

According to unconfirmed reports from Sebha hospital, four bodies were brought in.  There were also 12 seriously injured who were all flown from the airport to Tripoli, where their condition is unknown.

As of this evening, the ceasefire appeared to be holding. “Now, thank God, it is calm” said the Third Force member. [/restrict]

Tags: Awlad SuleimanLibyaMisrataQaddadfaSebhaThird Force

Related Posts

NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

China appoints Ma Xueliang as its new ambassador to Libya – after a 10-year gap

February 13, 2026
After a ten-year hiatus, Al-Khadra hospital’s Eye Clinic reopens
Libya

Al-Hadaba Al-Khadra General Hospital announces resumption of hip replacement surgeries after a two-year hiatus

February 12, 2026
Next Post
Overseas voters cast their ballots in elections to the House of Representatives

Overseas voters cast their ballots in elections to the House of Representatives

Security situation holds back civil aviation development

Security situation holds back civil aviation development

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.