No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

British ambassador visits Misrata

byNigel Ash
December 8, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
British ambassador visits Misrata

Ambassador Aron with Misrata leaders

By Libya Herald staff.

Ambassador Aron with Misrata leaders
British Ambassador Aron with Misrata leaders

Tripoli, 7 December 2013:

The decision by leaders in Misrata that its members of Congress and government ministers should . . .[restrict]return to their duties in the capital, announced three days ago, has been welcomed by the British ambassador during a visit to the city.

Michael Aron said after he visited Misrata today for talks with civic and community leaders: “They told me that they have broadly agreed to return. I said that I thought it was very important that Misrata contributed to the national political process, because of the importance of its role in the country”.

Aron told the Libya Herald that the Misratans had said that they wanted the fact-finding commission to establish exactly what had happened at Gharghour.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba meets UK ambassador, says recent security operation came within efforts to enforce law and end an irregular presence

LAIP stalled Misrata cement factory committee meets to move the project forward

While the ambassador talked with civic leaders, part of his embassy team visited the Misrata Free Zone and the LISCO iron and steel works.

As a result of the withdrawal ministers like Economy Minister Mustafa Abofanas have been doing their work from Misrata.

Yesterday, Aron had been to a Tawerghan refugee camp in Tripoli and he brought up in his meetings today the issue of the Tawerghans’ return to the town they abandoned at the end of the fighting.  “The Misratans said that they thought that this was for the government to deal with, as part of the process of national reconciliation”.

Aron’s visit to the Tawerghan camp off the capital’s Airport Road was, he said, shocking. The camp had been badly flooded in recent days. When the embassy party heard that nappies, baby formula and soft babies bottles were desperately needed, they went and bought supplies.

“We sat and talked with the head of the [Tawergha] local council,” said Aron, “ and he said their situation was terrible. Earlier in the year, they had been planning to march back to Tawergha, but they had been persuaded not to do so in the hope that their situation would be improved. In fact, we were told, it has got worse”.

Aron said that the Tawerghan leaders were ready to make an apology for what had happened during the war and if any of them stood accused of crimes, they were ready to submit the individuals to the justice system.

“But they said that they wanted to go home. Their conditions were appalling. They did not want to go into better housing, because they feared then that they would be forgotten.” [/restrict]

Tags: British AmbassadorFree Trade ZoneLibyaLISCOMichael AronMisrataTawergha

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
The new faces of Libyan army

The new faces of Libyan army

Military intelligence colonel murdered in Benghazi

Military intelligence colonel murdered in Benghazi

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.