No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Thinni’s government fears human rights violations in Tripoli

byNewsdesk2
November 12, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Thinni’s government  fears human rights violations in Tripoli

By Libya Herald staff.

Elbadri calls for strike to go on until all brigades quit (photo Umar Khan)
Speeches to Gharghour protestors before the massacre  (Photo: Umar Khan)

Tripoli, 12 November 2014:

With the first anniversary of Tripoli’s  Gharghour massacre just three days away and small clashes erupting in . . .[restrict]the capital between Libya Dawn and anti-Libyan Dawn supporters, the Libyan interim government has said it is watching events in Tripoli closely and that the protestors have a right to engage in peaceful demonstrations.

A year ago there was widespread incredulity and disgust when on 15 November members of a Misrata-led militia fired on a crowd of protestors in Gharghour, killing at least 45 people.  The demonstrators had been demanding the departure of armed groups from outside.

A group opposed to Libya Dawn and calling itself the Capital Operations Centre has issued a call to residents in the Greater Tripoli area to take to the streets on 15 November and protest against the presence of Dawn forces.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

On the day of first direct Tripoli to Rome flight, MoU signed between Libyan Civil Aviation and its Italian counterpart

Protestors in Fashloun, Zawiat Al-Dahmani and Ghut Shaal have already clashed with Libya Dawn-allied militias. As small numbers of pro-House of Representatives (HoR) groups have taken to the streets in these areas, Libya Dawn personnel have swept in and arrested several of the protestors.

The government statement released from Beida yesterday claimed that the demonstrations had been peaceful. It alleged that Libya Dawn armed groups have terrorised those who would protest against them, launching raids, arresting people, confiscating property and firing live ammunition at them.

These are the tactics of a dictatorship, the government declared. They are reminiscent of the systematic oppression used by the previous regime against any opposition.

Citing the 17 February Revolution several times in its statement, the government alleged that armed groups in the capital are trying to take away the very freedoms that had been fought for in the revolution. It reiterated the right of citizens to peaceful protest and to express their opinions without fear of violent reprisal.

The government called on the international community and human rights organizations to monitor and document all violations of human rights committed against protestors, activists and any other citizens.

The government said that, in light of the approaching anniversary of Gharghour, the international community needs to fix its attention on Tripoli because of the potential for violence against residents there. [/restrict]

Tags: Abdullah Al-ThinnifeatureGharghour massacreLibyaTripoli

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Thinni arrives in Riyadh

Thinni arrives in Riyadh

MMR official seized in Sirte and maybe murdered

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.