No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya to provide Malta with assured oil supplies

byMichel Cousins
June 24, 2013
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Michel Cousins.

Maltese Prime Minister Joseph Muscat (left) and Ali Zeidan today

Tripoli, 23 June 2013:

Libya intends to provide Malta with oil and hydrocrabon products, according to the Prime Minister. Speaking . . .[restrict]at a press conference early this afternoon following talks with his Maltese counterpart, Joseph Muscat, who flew in talks this morning, Ali Zeidan said that Libya was “ready to offer the amount Malta needs”. However, details still had to be worked out before an agreement could be made, he said.

The implication is that Libya will provide Malta with guaranteed supplies at fixed prices, as it has done with Egypt and Tunisia. At present, Malta, like other countries, has no problems buying oil but has to do so at international market rates.

Malta is also known to be looking for assured gas supplies to fuel its power station as well as seeking a resolution on a disputed offshore area thought to contain hydrocarbon reserves but also claimed by Libya.

RELATED POSTS

Universal Air starts direct flights between Malta and Tripoli

23 flights of international aid from 12 states arrive in Libya within 24 hours – government asks UN to coordinate effort

For his part, Muscat who was accompanied by his Energy Minister, Konrad Mizzi, as well as by his Home, Foreign and Tourism Ministers, said he did not want to go into specific details of what had been discussed on energy. He did add, however, he was “looking first to buy oil and products”.  The plan was “an agreement to collaborate much more on energy”. He was “confident”, he said, that it would happen. A start “had been made” today, he said.

Muscat arrived at Mitiga Airbase early in the morning accompanied by Home (Interior) and National Security Minister Emanuel Mallia, Foreign Minister George Vella, Tourism Minister Karmenu Vella and the Energy Minister. After a closed session, the two premiers were joined by the Maltese ministers and their opposite Libyan numbers – Interior Minister Mohamed Al-Sheikh, Foreign Minister Mohamed Abdulaziz, Oil Minister Abdulbari Al-Arusi and in the case of the Tourism Ministry, the Undersecretary, Abdulsamea Mahboub, the Tourism Minister being abroad.  The ministers then held separate one-on-one talks.

Oil was far from the only issue on the prime ministerial table. “We discussed economic affairs, investment and security”, said Zeidan.  Talks also covered Libyan funds frozen in Maltese banks, as well as visas, illegal immigration and both countries’ security.

They additionally centred in part of Muscat’s hopes for a different relationship with Libya. Muscat had “presented a new vision of relations between the two countries”, said Zeidan.

Muscat spelled out that vision when he was interviewed by the Libya Herald in April. He said at the time he was looking to a new partnership of equals with Libya in which the two countries worked as friends, helping each other.

In relation to investment, Zeidan said today that it had been agreed that particular sectors of the Libyan economy would be open to Maltese companies. He specified tourism, investment and the constriuction sector, but there was no explanation as what exactly was going to be offered to Maltese firms. Malta would be open to Libya private sector companies, he added,  although this is already the case. “Maltese investors are welcome here”, he said.

On the thorny visa issue, Zeidan said that Muscat had offered to put in place a new system under which Libyans would be able to secure visas for Malta “far easier than for other countries” and that the Maltese Prime Minister had stressed Malta’s desire for more Libyans going there as tourists, students and businessmen.

Muscat explained that what was planned was a new agency that would ensure that Libyans and others would be able to acquire visas “in the shortest possible time”.  Malta, as part of the Schengen Visa Area, had to abide by EU rules, but it was dealing with the issue and results would be “positive”, he promised.

Muscat and the ministers flew back to Malta immediately after the press conference. [/restrict]

Tags: Ali ZeidanfeaturedJoseph MuscatLibyaMalta

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Illegal immigrant figures "exaggerated": Zeidan

Tripoli SSC hands over Mitiga prison to Ministry of Defence

Tripoli SSC hands over Mitiga prison to Ministry of Defence

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.