No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Moussa Ibrahim reportedly captured trying to escape Bani Walid

byMichel Cousins
October 21, 2012
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

Tripoli, 20 October:

The Qaddafi regime’s media spokesman, Moussa . . .[restrict]Ibrahim, has been reported as captured in Bani Walid and is now being held at Mitiga airbase in Tripoli. He was said to have been flown to Tripoli from Misrata this afternoon.

Around 30 other Qaddafi figures are also said to have been caught in the past 24 hours in and around the town, both as a result of fighting there and when the national army entered it early today.

The names of several have been mentioned, including those of General Abdurrahman Al-Sid, Muftah Kaayiba, the onetime Secretary of the General People’s Congress, and Ramadan Bashir.

At least one other top Qaddafi figure, Colonel Milad Al-Faqhi, was also reported to have been captured shortly after midday while escaping the besieged town in a four-wheel vehicle. Qaddafi’s military spokesman and the man accused of being responsible for the siege and assault on Zawia last year, Faqhi is said to have also been taken to Mitiga airbase in Tripoli.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba proposes new Road Map for holding elections, loans and land for youth and money for healthcare for war wounded

Cooperation agreements reached between Libyan and the Greek pharmaceutical and medical companies: Tripoli Chamber of Commerce

He was reported killed in May last year when a NATO strike hit an intelligence headquarters in Tripoli.

Al-Faqhi last year

Car horns in the capital were being hooted during the afternoon as news spread of the captures However, there was no official confirmation of any names.

“We know that Moussa Ibrahim was in Bani Walid,” said one Western ambassador in Tripoli today. “We also know that as many as 30 Qaddafi supporters have been captured in the town”, he added but did not know their identities.

According to official reports, the capture of numerous former regime officials and commanders followed the national army’ entry into Bani Walid from the east side at sunrise this morning. Sources said that it was being helped in its house-to-house searches by local residents. However, the Libya Herald’s George Grant was in Sufageen Valley to the east of Bani Walid this morning and saw no sign of any military activity.

There is also a degree of scepticism in Tripoli that such a large number of former regime figures could so conveniently be captured on the first anniversary of Qaddafi’s death.

However, it is claimed that the fighting in Bani Walid today has been intense.  Earlier this afternoon, it was reported that up to that point 10 Misratan men had been wounded during the day.

The whereabouts of Moussa Ibrahim, whose constant aggressive denial of reality last year made him only marginally less hated than Qaddafi and his family, has been a mystery ever since the regime finally fell. There were reports of him being in Bani Walid, in Algeria, in Egypt and even in Germany: his wife is German.

There are also persistent reports that Khamis Qaddafi is or until a couple of days ago was in Bani Walid.  One report today has Ibrahim in hospital in Misrata “confirming” that the dictator’s youngest son was in Bani Walid. Anther rumour is that he was lifted out of the town by helicopter some days ago.

Like Faqhi, Khamis was supposed to have been killed last year. However, lack of evidence has fuelled the rumour mill that he was still alive.  What has been reported today, however, is that various military equipment belonging to Qaddafi supporters was seized in Bani Walid this morning including large numbers of weapons, a T92 tank and an air defence system belonging to Qaddafi’s 32nd Brigade, better known as the Khamis Brigade.

Many families have been leaving the town over the past 24 hours. According to soldiers manning the checkpoint on the road to Sirte, as many as 150 families left last night. This morning they reported just four or five.

Among those today was a small boy whom the soldiers say would not stop crying.  People tried to comfort him to no avail. Eventually he did stop and was then asked why he had been crying. “They shot my father in front of me”, was his reply according to one of the soliders.  The story, if true, would seem to back up reports that Bani Walid forces have been trying to prevent ordinary civilians from leaving in the hope of using them as hostages and human shields.

  [/restrict]

Tags: featured

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts five Waha bank employees for LD 131 million corruption

February 22, 2026
Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Libyan officials on Polish joined-up government course

Libyan officials on Polish joined-up government course

Polish conservators looking at Libya for 2013

Polish conservators looking at Libya for 2013

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benina Airport installs first-ever ILS/DME Navigational Aids System by Spain’s Sky Navigation Systems

Sirte Oil Company completes drilling of horizontal well C345H in the Ziltan field with production rate of 2,000 barrels per day

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.