No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Two killed in car bomb blasts in Tripoli

byGeorge Grant
August 19, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Two killed in car bomb blasts in Tripoli

The aftermath of the two car bombs on Omar Mukhtar street in Tripoli, which cost the lives of at least two people.

Tripoli, 19 August:

The aftermath of the two car bombs on Omar Mukhtar street in Tripoli, which cost the lives of at least two people.

At least two people have been killed and two more wounded when three car bombs exploded in Tripoli in . . .[restrict]the early hours of this morning, Sunday, in the first lethal attack of its kind since the ousting of the Qaddafi regime last year.

Sources report that the first bomb was detonated near the Ministry of Interior, causing no casualties. Minutes later, two further bombs exploded on Omar Mukhtar street, killing two people and wounding at least two more.

These second bombs were detonated close to a facility used by the Ministry of Defence for detentions and interrogations.

“The crowds overlooking the Omar Mukhtar explosion were huge”, said Saif Al-Naser, a business development manager who was driving past the area moments after the incident happened.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

“I heard one explosion, I think the one outside the Ministry of Interior, but only realised something wasn’t right after getting stuck in heavy traffic. We asked what had happened, and that’s when we heard about the bombings”.

There have also been reports of two further bombs, which failed to explode. The first was encountered by police as they arrived at the site of the Interior Ministry blast, whilst the second was discovered on Al-Sreem street, close to the Immigration Ministry.

Checkpoints have now been set up and cars are being searched across central Tripoli, in particular adjacent to sensitive areas such as the Prime Minister’s office.

The identity of the perpetrators has not been established, but the timing of the blasts seemed deliberately calculated to coincide with the festival of Eid, which takes place today, to mark the end of the month of Ramadan.

This is the first time a car bomb has resulted in fatalities in Tripoli since the end of last year’s revolution.

On 4 August, a small car bomb reportedly exploded in downtown Tripoli, following a clash between two groups wanting to set up a pavement stall in Rasheed Street, near the Bourguiba Mosque, just south of the old city.

It was later established, however, that the vehicle in question, a Honda Civic, could have been damaged as part of a collateral blast from a gelatina bomb, a home-made device popular with local fisherman, which was thrown during the confrontation. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibya

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Exclusive – Interior Ministry communications system hacked as Qaddafi loyalists overheard discussing Tripoli blasts

Exclusive - Interior Ministry communications system hacked as Qaddafi loyalists overheard discussing Tripoli blasts

Sabratha Council set for October elections

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.