No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Election delayed three weeks: official

byNigel Ash
June 11, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Election delayed three weeks: official

HNEC chief Nuri Elabbar announcing the three week delay

By Umar Khan

Tripoli, 10 June:

The head of the Higher National Election Commission, Nuri Elabbar, today announced that the elections for the . . .[restrict]National Congress will now take place on Saturday, 7 July. Elabbar told a press conference the decision was taken earlier in the day after a meeting with the National Transitional Council (NTC). He emphasized that the delay was purely technical and logistical. The elections had been scheduled to take place on 19 June.

HNEC chief Nuri Elabbar announcing the three week delay

Elabbar said that the complexities in the constituencies law and the amendments in different laws lay behind the delay. He added that after increasing the voter registration by one week, the final lists of the candidates were also pushed back and it had become impossible to make the deadline.

According to Elabbar, the HNEC had worked hard to reach this point, where the delay in the vote is only three weeks and not longer. He said that the difficulties were massive, given the time the electoral commission had been given: “120 days are not enough to mount elections in any country and in a country like Libya, where there was no infrastructure, it was impossible”.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Nevertheless, the electoral commission had worked very hard to meet the deadline.

“We managed to register more than 2.7 million voters and 4,000 candidates submitted their documents, which went through the vetting process by the Integrity Committee.”

Elabbar also said that the new date had been selected carefully, after making sure that the remaining phase of the process will be completed in time.

The elections are for the 200-seat National Congress, which will be responsible for drafting the constitution of the country, which in turn will determine the future direction of the Libyan state. The role of the National Congress will be much more important than that of the NTC, as it will have the authority to over-write any law passed by them.

Libya Herald broke the story of the delay last week and gave the exact breakdown of the processes? causing the delay. [/restrict]

Tags: electionfeaturedLibya

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Ras Jedir border police ousted in army smuggling crackdown

Sick passenger prompts Cairo emergency landing for Afriqiyah flight

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

After a 10-year hiatus, CT scan service at Tripoli Children’s Teaching Hospital restarted

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.