No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Punch-up at Congress ahead of vote on whether Ashour Shuwail can take up his post before Supreme Court verdict

byGeorge Grant
December 11, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By George Grant and Ashraf Abdul Wahab.

A fight broke out between two Congressmen on Sunday when a debate on the Ashour Shuwail case got out of hand.

Tripoli, 10 December:

The National Congress is due to vote tomorrow on whether Ashour Shuwail can . . .[restrict]assume his position as Interior Minister before being cleared by the Supreme Court as fit for office.

The move follows a heated debate on his case that took place in Congress yesterday, which culminated in a brawl between two congressmen on opposing sides of the argument.

Fighting broke out after Ibrahim Gheriani, who leads the National Forces Alliance in Congress, reacted “very badly” when his discourse was interrupted by Akram Jenin, an independent Congressman for Khoms.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

“Gheriani was talking in a very loud voice, prompting Jenin to intervene from his location in the seats opposite to protest against Gheriani’s conduct”, a source who witnessed the incident told the Libya Herald.

“The two Congress members carried on arguing to the point that Jenin hit the table angrily demanding Gheriani to be silent. At that point, Gheriani crossed the hall and punched him in the face, causing him to bleed. They got engaged in a fight until other Congress members intervened to break them up.”

Gheriani apologised for his conduct shortly afterwards, but calls have now been voiced from inside the NFA for his dismissal as leader.

At the heart of the debate over Shuwail is a legal argument over whether Congress has the power to allow him to assume office before the Supreme Court issues its verdict or not.

Shuwail was disbarred from office by the Integrity Commission on 13 November, but was cleared on appeal last Monday. Shortly afterwards, National Congress Spokesman Omar Hmaidan said that Congress looked forward to Shuwail being sworn in by them, prompting a note from the Integrity Commission reminding the legislative body that no oath of office could be taken until all legal proceedings against him had been concluded.

The Commission then launched its own appeal against the appeal court’s ruling, which is currently being considered by the Supreme Court.

“There are two very clear and competing legal opinions”, said Congressman Suleiman Zubi, a former judge from Benghazi. “One says that it is possible for Shuwail to be sworn in even before the court concludes its case, and the other argument says that he cannot start his work until the Supreme Court has made its decision.

“The National Congress will decide which is correct, and we hope to vote on this matter tomorrow. It was this problem that we were all shouting about yesterday”, Zubi added.

Regardless of whether Shuwail is permitted to take up his post before the Supreme Court verdict or not, should the court decide against him he will in all probability be compelled to resign.

A final decision on the Shuwail’s eligibility should be made by the Supreme Court in the next three weeks.

  [/restrict]

Tags: Ashour ShuwailfeaturedGNCLibya

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Al-Mahmoudi in court again

Never mind the oil, what about the olive oil?

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.