No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Deputy PM Abushagur heading back to Mauritania; discussions to include Al-Senussi

byMichel Cousins
May 29, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By George Grant

Tripoli, 29 May:

Libya is planning to send another delegation to Mauritania, to be led by Deputy Prime Minister Mustafa . . .[restrict]Abushagur.

According to the government’s foreign affairs spokesman, Saad Elshlmani, the delegation will depart as soon as agreement has been reached between the two countries on an appropriate date and agenda.

Libya is looking to develop closer cooperation with Mauritania on a number of fronts, in particular trade and investment. Crucially, however, Libya is also hoping to secure agreement from the government in Nouakchott to hand over Abdullah Al-Senussi for trial.

RELATED POSTS

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Following Al-Senussi’s arrest in Mauritania in March, Abushagur immediately travelled to the country to negotiate the transfer of Qaddafi’s former spy chief to Libya. At the time, Abushagur said he had been given a “positive” response to Libya’s extradition request by Mauritanian President Ould Abdel Aziz, and spoke of his “courageous position” on the issue.

Two months later, however, there is still no sign that the Mauritanians are ready to hand Al-Senussi over to Tripoli, although the Libyan government insists that negotiations are ongoing.

There has been speculation that Mauritania is concerned about potential criticism from the international community if Al-Senussi is handed over to Libya and subsequently mistreated, or not afforded a fair trial. It is privately believed that the Mauritanian government is using Al-Senussi as a bargaining chip to increase their leverage on other issues.

It is also the case that Al-Senussi is wanted in a number of other jurisdictions besides Libya for trial, including the United Kingdom, France, and the International Criminal Court.

Deputy Prime Minister Mustafa Abushagur

When asked by the Libya Herald if discussing Al-Senussi was in fact the primary purpose of the anticipated visit, Elshlmani said not. “We want to discuss many issues with the Mauritanians”, he said, “in particular with regards to trade and investment. I believe that better relations need to come first; then we will be in a position to discuss Al-Senussi.”

This appears at odds with a statement made by NTC Chairman Mustafa Abdul Jalil only yesterday, that the handing over of Al-Senussi would be what formed the basis of good relations between Libya and Mauritania. Jalil made the remark at the swearing-in ceremony of the successful candidates in the Benghazi local elections.

In the past, both Jalil and Prime Minister Abdurrahim El-Kib have insisted that Al-Senussi would ultimately be handed over to Libya for trial. Most recently, whilst on a visit to the United Kingdom last week, El-Kib vowed that Al-Senussi would have his day in court: “This person needs to be tried in Libya soon so we can close the books on many of the crimes committed by the past regime”, he said. [/restrict]

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Bye Bye Shell. Hello BP !

Libyan health delegation in Dubai

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.