No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

HoR members deny allegations of Khalfa Ghwell payments

byMichel Cousins
February 1, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Hadi Fornaji.

Tunis, 1 February 2017:

Members of the House of Representatives (HoR) who initially boycotted it have denied reports that they received payments in 2015 from the so-called government of national salvation (GNS) led by Khalifa Ghwell.

“It’s a lie,” Misrata member Mohamed Raeid told the Libya Herald. “I never received anything.”

Jebel Nafousa member Akram Isa Omar Al-Kikli has also refuted the claims, saying he never received any payment from any government, not the Ghwell administration, the Beida-based government or the current Presidency Council Government of National Accord.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

A document, allegedly from the GNS, signed by Ghwell and dated 29 September 2015, which appears to approve payments to 26 named HoR members for salaries and housing allowances, was published yesterday by the online newspaper Al Marsad. It says that it was given it by a source in the former GNS.

All 26 are former boycotters. They include Mustafa Abushagur, Fathi Bashagha Suleiman Al-Fagih and Naim Ghariani. They were all supposedly given LD 7,500 month salary and LD 3,200 housing allowance for the period August 2914 to September 2015.

The emergence of the document, the authenticity of which cannot be guaranteed, coincides with the leaking of a phone recording, also made in 2015, in which two influential figures in Libya are heard discussing influence in regard to appointments to the Libya Dialogue team.

Questions are being asked whether the leaking of both are linked and whether they are part of a campaign to create greater confusion and anger than already exist in Libya.

“Why is this surfacing now?” asked an HoR official about the alleged payments document. “Someone clearly wants to damage these members.”

It may have been that one or two members were paid, he added, but it not those such as Mohamed Raied and Mustafa Abushagur. “They don’t need the money and they wouldn’t have taken it,” he said, asking not to be named.

“Expect more revelations,” suggested a prominent Libyan media activist who likewise requested anonymity. Pointing the blame at Islamists, he claimed a coordinated disinformation campaign to discredit the HoR, the Presidency Council, the Thinni administration and the Libyan National Army was now being waged.

Tags: HoRLibya

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Internally displaced face food shortages – especially in Benghazi, Bani Walid and Ajdabiya: report

Internally displaced face food shortages – especially in Benghazi, Bani Walid and Ajdabiya: report

Migrants must not be sent back to Libya, HRW warns EU leaders

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Airports Authority and Civil Aviation Authority review visual presentation by Spanish company Indra on Modern Aviation Technologies

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.