No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Was Senussi tricked into Mauritania by the French?

byMichel Cousins
March 24, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Tripoli, March 23: Government sources in Nouakchott have claimed that secret negotiations are underway underway between the Mauritanian and French governments . . .[restrict]to transfer Qaddafi’s intelligence chief Abdullah Senussi to France.

On Wednesday, the Libyan government said that Mauritania had promised to hand over Senussi to Libya. He was arrested at Nouakchott airport early last Saturday in what now appears to have been an entrapment operation involving both French and Mauritanian intelligence services.

The source said that the French authorities made their request to the Mauritanians before Senussi’s arrest.  In 1999, a French court convicted him in absentia for the 1989 bombing of a UTA plane flying over Niger in which 170 people died.

The source said that Senussi is now being guarded by anti-terrorist unit of the Mauritanian Security Service.

When Senussi was arrested he had flown in on a Royal Air Maroc plane from Casablanca.  The Mauritanian authorities said at the time he was in transit to Mali, but a somewhat different story now seems to be emerging.

RELATED POSTS

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

According to sources in the Mauritanian News Agency, Abdullah Senussi had been in Mali but had gone to Morocco and had lived in Casablanca with his son with the full knowledge of the Moroccan intelligence.

The sources say that Rabat kept quiet about Senussi’s presence for fear that it would put it on a collision course with Libya. The presence of members of the Qaddafi family in Algeria has continued to plague the two countries’ relations.

They claimed that French intelligence became aware that Senussi was in Casablanca but that the Moroccan government refused to allow the French to arrest Senussi or interrogate him on its territory.

The sources claimed that Paris and Nouakchott then agreed to lure Senussi to Mauritania by convincing him that he would be safe there.  They say that when Senussi flew to from Casablanca to Nouakchott he was accompanied by elements of the Mauritanian security and met by the officers of the state security apparatus at Nouakchott airport.  It was only then that the trap was sprung.

Mauritanian news sources say that the Mauritanian government has not questioned Abdullah Senussi so far. They claim that the process of transferring him to France may occur in the next few days.

Sources in the Mauritania news agency say that Mauritanian President Ould Abdel Aziz feels that Libya is still a fragile country and not able to give Senussi a proper and fair trial.

 

  [/restrict]

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Egyptian border closed

Marchers in Benghazi demand police and army be in sole charge of security

Marchers in Benghazi demand police and army be in sole charge of security

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.