No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Human Rights

Militias not in power grab says UN’s Ian Martin

byNigel Ash
March 2, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Despite international reports to the contrary, Libya’s militias do not want to hang on to power and the streets, but merely . . .[restrict]wish to ensure that the revolution they fought for, stays on track said the United Nation’s man in Libya.

The UN's Ian Martin

Ian Martin, the UN Secretary General’s special representative in Libya and head of the UN’s Mission of Support in Libya (UNSMIL) explained Wednesday in his latest report to the Security Council: “ Contrary to the impression given by some media reports, although the brigades seek guarantees that the transformation for which they have fought is securely on track, there is little indication that they wish to perpetuate an existence outside state authority.” Martin also pointed out that many militiamen were unpaid and serving purely as volunteers.

Admitting that some brigades lacked clear lines of command and co-ordination he said: “There is some appreciable progress in the development of state authority over brigades in the provision of security, including through the establishment of local security committees under the direction of the Ministry of Interior, to coordinate security operations among participating brigades.”

Martin cited the success of the February 17 celebrations to mark the first anniversary of the outbreak of the revolution. Though some sort of attack by pro-Qaddafi elements had been expected, the huge street parties throughout the country patrolled by militiamen, passed off without incident.

He said he believed that the role of the brigades would change as the Ministry of the Interior took over land, air and sea port border controls, as the government intends.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba proposes new Road Map for holding elections, loans and land for youth and money for healthcare for war wounded

Cooperation agreements reached between Libyan and the Greek pharmaceutical and medical companies: Tripoli Chamber of Commerce

Martin however had less positive news on detainees, reporting to the Security Council that there were still between five and six thousand people held by militias. He pointed out that since his last report in January, the government had taken over two detention centres, bringing to eight the number of prisons it now controlled with 2,832 detainees.

He also expressed guarded frustration at the progress of any probe into the attack on Tawerghas living in an internal displaced persons camp at the old naval academy at Janzour, in which seven people were killed. He said that UNSMIL had strongly urged an investigation into the murders.

Pointing out that the dead included three children and two women, he continued: “The United Nations has pressed for better security not only at this camp, but also at locations of displaced Tawergha in other parts of the country. This latest incident underscores the urgent need for the responsibility for arrests and detention to be exercised by the Ministry of Justice alone”.

Martin noted that the apology earlier this month from Tawergha tribal leaders to the people of Misrata for crimes committed against them by Tawergha was a contribution toward reconciliation. He said that UNSMIL would continues to work with the Libyan authorities to address the short and longer-term needs of the Tawergha community. [/restrict]

Tags: featured

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
1st Tebu Conference in Libya

1st Tebu Conference in Libya

Summit on border smuggling planned with neighbouring states

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Airports Authority and Civil Aviation Authority review visual presentation by Spanish company Indra on Modern Aviation Technologies

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.