No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya’s postponed elections not expected for another 6 to 8 months

bySami Zaptia
January 18, 2022
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

(Logo: HoR).

Tripoli, 18 January 2022:

Emad Al-Sayeh, the head of Libya’s High National Elections Commission (HNEC) said he did not expect the country’s postponed elections to take place for another 6 to 8 months (July to September). Sayeh was facing questions in the Libyan parliament (the House of Representatives – HoR) at its session yesterday held in Tobruk.

The session was presided over by fulltime HoR Speaker Ageela Saleh – his first since September after taking a legally-prescribed break to prepare for the now postponed 24 December presidential elections.

Opening the session, Saleh made a speech in which he reiterated the main reasons that had led to the postponement of the elections that Sayeh had given in his 4 January appearance before the HoR.

RELATED POSTS

‘Mini-Meeting’ discusses first two steps of Libya’s UN Roadmap in its first meeting in Rome

HoR Speaker Saleh cancels new import tax having previously claimed he had never agreed such a tax. Is Saleh’s position weakening? Report and analysis

Saleh was keen to defend against the accusation that he the HoR were the main cause of the postponement of the December elections. Salah and HoR members repeatedly attempted to force Sayeh to name the political and militia obstructers of the elections. Sayeh had said he had received threats in the run up to the 24th of December.

Saleh demanded that Sayeh present any requests HNEC had to the HoR to help facilitate the elections. Sayeh said HNEC would send a report to the HoR.

Sayeh reiterates causes of election postponement

Sayeh reiterated his belief that the elections appeals process needed reform and that the elections appeals laws should be specific. He stated that there existed a conflict between the election law and court rulings.

He reminded that there were still numerous elections court rulings not reported to HNEC and often HNEC only learnt of rulings through candidates. This meant HNEC was unable to announce the final candidate list for the elections.

Sayeh also confirmed that, so far, 12 cases of forgeries had been referred to the Attorney General and that the files of all the election candidates are being re-examined.

The HNEC head also pointed out that a relatively lengthy postponement of the elections will result in the reopening of the electoral register as a considerable number of youth would have passed the age of 18 in the meanwhile.

Saleh distributes responsibility for the election postponement

After Sayeh completed his opening presentation, Saleh summarised by using it as evidence that it was not the HoR (or himself) that caused the election postponement. He called the accusation politicised distortion of the truth.

Keen to distribute the responsibility for the postponement of the elections, Saleh urged HNEC to refer all those that presented inaccurate or incorrect information in their candidate file to the Attorney General.

He said HNEC should also name the political and militia obstructers. In reference to the role of the government and its security forces in securing the elections, Saleh said each entity should accept responsibility for the elections. He specifically called on the Attorney General to accept his responsibility and pursue those who forged election documents.

He reiterated that the HoR was ready to accept any demands to facilitate the holding of the postponed elections from HNEC.

Tags: 24 December 2021 electionsAgeela SalehfeaturedHNEC head Emad Al-SayehHNEC High National Elections CommissionHoR House of Representatives

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Saleh proposes alternative 30-member constitutional drafting committee to resolve constitutional deadlock – report and analysis

Civil Registry Authority head Bettamer refutes existence of large numbers of forged National ID Numbers

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Airports Authority and Civil Aviation Authority review visual presentation by Spanish company Indra on Modern Aviation Technologies

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.