No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Libya successfully defends US$ 69 million arbitration compensation claim case against Turkish company, and a case in UAE

bySami Zaptia
January 12, 2021
Reading Time: 4 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

London, 10 January 2021:

Libya has successfully defended a US$ 69 million arbitration claim case by a Turkish company, its Committee for Pending Disputes Abroad of the Supreme Judicial Council (SJC) reported today.

The case was before the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) in Paris and was against ‘‘Matrim Vardan’’ who the Committee referred to as ”owner” of Turkish company ”Çukurova”.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba proposes new Road Map for holding elections, loans and land for youth and money for healthcare for war wounded

Cooperation agreements reached between Libyan and the Greek pharmaceutical and medical companies: Tripoli Chamber of Commerce

Cukurova Holding is listed as being established in 1923, a private industrial and commercial conglomerate, based in Istanbul, Turkey. It is engaged in a range of sectors such as industrial, construction, communication and IT, media, transportation, financial services and energy.

It is its construction arm that is owed money by Libya for projects implemented which were interrupted by the 2011 revolution that overthrew the Qaddafi regime. Cukurova has been taken to court by creditors /subcontractors and faced bankruptcy.

The report says Matrim had accused the Libyan state of breaching its obligations in protecting his investments in accordance with the bilateral treaty between Libya and Turkey for the promotion and protection of investments.

However, the the report said the arbitral tribunal ended the lawsuit ruling that the plaintiff ‘‘was not serious’’ and charged him with arbitration expenses of US$ 300,000. He was also obligated to pay the Libyan state £ 600,000 pounds sterling and US$ 12,000 with interest at a rate of 2% / monthly, for what it incurred in terms of arbitration expenses and attorney fees.

Libya defends case in UAE

The Committee for Pending Disputes Abroad also reported today that it was also able to save Libya LD 690,000 or its equivalent in Emirati dirhams, after it successfully appealed a case in the UAE.

The amount was what the Abu Dhabi Court of Appeal had previously ruled in favour of the Al Ain Corporation for Advertising and Artistic Production for its supply of some artwork during 2001 and 2004 to the Libya Channel.

However, the Court of Cassation in Abu Dhabi cancelled extinguished the ruling by prescription and obligated the aforementioned plaintiff to pay the case’s fees and attorney fees and ordered the return of the appeal guarantee to the appellant authority, based on the appeal filed on behalf of the Libyan state.

 

Libya saved about 350 million Egyptian pounds in Cairo court success | (libyaherald.com)

Libya’s Tripoli-based Ministry of Justice confirms Egypt court ruling annulling ‘‘Kharafi’’ US$ 1 bn 2013 arbitration case | (libyaherald.com)

Libya’s Sirt Oil successfully defends arbitration case against India’s Punj Lloyd – awarded US$ 5 million | (libyaherald.com)

Mellitah wins case against Posh Offshore services | (libyaherald.com)

Libya successfully defends major arbitration construction case in Paris | (libyaherald.com)

NOC wins arbitration case against Emiratis | (libyaherald.com)

Libya lifts € 113 million legal seizure on assets by Italian creditors | (libyaherald.com)

Libya overturns € 500 million Paris court award to French company Sorelec | (libyaherald.com)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tags: featured

Related Posts

First scheduled flight lands at Kufra airport – good news for Libya’s wider aviation sector
Business

Kufra airport activates runway and taxiway lighting enabling nighttime flights

February 22, 2026
Newly created Libyan United Airlines reveals logo – stresses it is a privately owned airline
Business

Newly created Libyan United Airlines reveals logo – stresses it is a privately owned airline

February 22, 2026
Dutch embassy assesses security standards, rules and procedures at Tripoli’s Mitiga airport
Business

Benina Airport installs first-ever ILS/DME Navigational Aids System by Spain’s Sky Navigation Systems

February 22, 2026
Sirte and BACB to improve cooperation
Business

Sirte Oil Company completes drilling of horizontal well C345H in the Ziltan field with production rate of 2,000 barrels per day

February 22, 2026
LBC leading delegation to Miami for America’s Food and Beverage Show – 18 to 20 September
Business

LBC and Libyan African Council for Sub-Saharan Countries held its first official meeting – an action plan to enhance Libya’s economic presence in Africa is agreed

February 21, 2026
ESDF and subsidiary LIDCO hold meeting with KPMG to follow up on financial evaluation within ESDF’s programme for subsidiary companies
Business

LIDCO continues construction on 8,500 car multistorey carpark as part of Tripoli Gate 1 Project

February 21, 2026
Next Post

Tripoli Defence Ministry denies being part of Bashagha's operation ‘‘Snake Hunting’’

Cash availability and cash withdrawal limits to rise within two weeks: CBL official

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Kufra airport activates runway and taxiway lighting enabling nighttime flights

Newly created Libyan United Airlines reveals logo – stresses it is a privately owned airline

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.