No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Migration and alleged slavery in Libya the focus of EU-Africa summit

byMichel Cousins
November 30, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Migration and alleged slavery in Libya the focus of EU-Africa summit

Leaser at the summit

By Libya Herald reporter.

asda
Serraj at the AU-EU summit (Photo: PC media office)

Tunis, 30 November 2017:

Presidency Council head Faiez Serraj has said that the number of migrants in Libya exceeds half a million people, of which 95 percent are from Africa. He was speaking at the triennial African Union-European Union summit which finished today and which saw heads of state from most African and EU member states attend.

Given the numbers of migrants making the perilous journey to Europe and the allegations of mistreatment of them in Libya including some being auctioned for labour, the situation in Libya overshadowed the talks in the Ivory Coast capital, Abidjan.

At the beginning of the summit, the EU Trade Union called for an immediate suspension of EU efforts to keep refugees and migrants in Libya due to “appalling detention facilities” and following reports of slavery in the country.

RELATED POSTS

First joint Italian Libyan company to export fish to European markets launched

Libya will not bear burdens of illegal immigration alone or be settlement area: Interior Minister Trabelsi

In his opening speech Ivory Coast President Alassane Ouattara said the security of Europe and Africa will “depend on our capacity to resolve the crisis in Libya and to bring an end, by all available means, to the inhuman treatment inflicted on migrants.”

According to Serraj, however, only four per cent of the migrants, numbering some 22,000, were in 42 of the detention centres with the rest being absorbed by the labour market.

Most migrants were destined for Europe via “death boats” though some were also recruited into local wars and conflicts or “exploited by terrorist groups,” he said.

His overall figure of half a million migrants is slightly above the estimate from the International Organisation for Migration which puts it at over 423,000 as of last month. However, Moussa Faki Mahamat, the chairman of the African Union Commission, today claimed today that there were between 400,000 and 700,000 African migrants, many living in “inhuman” conditions. He claimed they were already in camps.

Serraj called on African countries to take responsibility for the return of their nationals but also said Europe had to contribute and receive migrants. He also said that there had to be international sanctions against smugglers “wherever they are, whether in Africa or Europe, and should not be limited to Libya alone”.

Both Serraj’s demands were effectively answered positively. The Europeans pledged to invest €44 billion in Africa and French Emmanual Macron said that he and Serraj along with the leaders of Niger, Chad and other countries plus the UN, had agreed on the emergency evacuation of all those who wanted to leave.

The PC head, accompanied by his foreign minister Mohamed Siala, also held a series of talks with EU and African leaders while in Abidjan. He now heads to Washington for talks with President Trump.

Leaser at the summit
Leaders at the summit (Photo: PC media office)
Tags: AbidjanAUEUfeaturedLibya

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Pan-Libyan highway discussions restart

Pan-Libyan highway discussions restart

Sebha airport captured by Tebu militia

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.