No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

EU parliament head says Libya should be paid €6 billion to stop migrants

byNigel Ash
August 29, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Gabriel Harrison.

Migrants crossing the Sahara (Photo: Der Spiegel)
Migrants crossing the Sahara from Niger (Photo: Der Spiegel)

Tunis, 28 August 2017:

The EU should be prepared to pay Libya €6 billion, twice as much as it paid Turkey, to stop the flow of migrants, the president of the European parliament said today.

Antonio Tajani’s suggestion came as Presidency Council (PC) head Faiez Serraj joined EU and African leaders in Paris today for a mini-summit on ways to control the migrant crisis.

Presidents Idriss Deby of Chad Mahamadou Issoufou of Niger were in the French capital for talks with France’s President Emmanuel Macron, German chancellor Angela Merkel, Italian prime minister Paolo Gentiloni, Spain’s Mariano Rajoy and the EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan government delegation meets – US Department of Energy – discusses developing oil and gas sector and strategic energy projects

Three million illegal immigrants in Libya, 75 % of whom are families, constitute ”settlement” which Libyans reject – illegally transfer US$ 7 billion annually: Interior Minister Trabelsi

In the event, the EU leaders did not take up Tajani’s proposal. Instead they said after their meeting that they had agreed they would grant asylum to “particularly vulnerable migrants” who applied while they were still in Niger and Chad. They would support UN and other migration agencies to process applications in these and other African countries.

Chad and Niger are the main crossing points for migrants into Libya.

The idea of application centres in the two countries was first proposed by Macron just after his meeting in Paris with Serraj and Khalifa Hafter a month ago. At the time he also suggested they be in southern Libya as well, but this has been roundly rejected by all Libyan key players. At today’s Paris mini-summit Serraj – insisting that Libya is as much a victim of the migration as the Europeans – said that there was no way that illegal migrants would be allowed to gather and be settled in Libya.

There is considerable doubt as to the value of asylum application centres having any impact on numbers of migrants attempting to cross to Europe.  The vast majority are economic migrants not people fleeing war, such as in Syria. Figures from Italy show that in the first seven months of this year, the largest group were from Nigeria followed by Bangladesh, Guinea and the Ivory Coast.

Tajani had suggested that Europe should follow up the allocation of funds to Libya with a long-term EU investment strategy for other African countries including Chad and Niger. Last month the EU offered €10 million to Niger to help stop the flow of migrants.

Tags: ChadEUfeaturedIdriss DebyLibyaMahamadou Issoufoumigrantsniger

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Libya has urgent governance crisis says new UNSMIL chief

Libya has urgent governance crisis says new UNSMIL chief

Bunyan Marsous and LNA reinforce armies around Sirte

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Minister of Industry and Minerals discusses with Chinese companies prospects for industrial and investment cooperation

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.