No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

State Council slams defence minister Barghati’s suspension

byNigel Ash
May 21, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Olfa Andolsi.

The State Council's Abdurrahman Sewehli (Photo: social media)
The State Council head Abdurrahman Sewehli (Photo: social media)

Tunis, 20 May 2017:

The State Council (SC) has condemned the Presidency Council’s (PC) suspension of defence minister Mahmoud Barghati without waiting for the result of the enquiry it has ordered into the Brak Al-Shatti massacre.

It said that the PC had acted in an irresponsible rush. It added that the action against Barghati chimed with the “demands of parties rejecting the political agreement and its media campaigns financed by regional countries”.  Its statement, put out yesterday, continued that these parties wished to abort or completely destroy the process of national reconciliation.

The SC then launched a wider attack of Faiez Serraj and the PC saying it was unable to provide basic services to citizens but was preoccupied with the appointment of administrators for investment and financial institutions, an apparent reference to the management of the Libyan Investment Authority and the Central Bank of Libya.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

It condemned the PC’s “unjustified failure to issue decisions regarding the leadership positions of the military establishment stipulated in the political agreement”. However, it can be agued that the PC does not yet have that power.  The transfer of ultimate authority over the armed forces from the House of Representatives (HoR) to the PC is the key dispute that has stopped parliament from voting on the Libyan Political Agreement (LPA).  It could equally be maintained that until the LPA is signed off by the HoR, the State Council itself lacks legal standing.

The SC also accused Serraj of not being committed to the text and spirit of the political agreement. It cited Mohamed Siala whose has chosen not to return to Tripoli since his reference in Tunis to Khalifa Hafter as commander of the Libyan army.  Serraj, said the Siala had since gone with Siala on foreign visits “despite the irregularities and abuses that have caused serious damage to national accord”, a reference to the uproar in the west caused by Siala’s Hafter comment.

It said it was astonished that Siala was still in post and that Serraj had taken no action against him.

Tags: BarghatifeaturedHoRLibyaPCSerrajSialaState Council

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Footage shows victorious fighters shooting up Brak Al-Shatti corpses

Footage shows victorious fighters shooting up Brak Al-Shatti corpses

Arrest warrant for PFG commander Ibrahim Jadhran 

Arrest warrant for PFG commander Ibrahim Jadhran 

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Malta Civil Aviation Authority’s Security Department visits Tripoli’s Mitiga airport with view to restarting flights

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.