No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Beida government accuses Italy of violating Libyan sovereignty

byMichel Cousins
January 15, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Beida government accuses Italy of violating Libyan sovereignty

By Alessandra Bocchi.

image017
Italy’s amphibious warship San Giorgio (Photo: Italian Navy)

Tunis, 14 January 2017:

In a sign of its growing annoyance with Italy over its cooperation with the Presidency Council and the Government of National Accord (GNA), the rival interim government in Beida this week accused the Italian navy of illegally entering Libya’s territorial waters. It claimed Italy was violating Libyan sovereignty.

“An Italian military vessel loaded with soldiers and ammunition has entered Libyan territorial waters,” said a note sent by the government in Beida to Libyan embassies abroad.

“It is a clear violation of the UN charter and a form of repeated aggression.”

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts former head of the Libyan mission to Italy

Libyan Italian Economic Forum – 16 May at 50th Tripoli International Fair

The vessel concerned is the San Giorgio, an Italian navy amphibious warship which is currently operating with the EU’s Operation Sophia against human trafficking in the Mediterranean from Libya.

Last October, 78 Libyan coastguard trainees joined the San Giorgio and the Dutch vessel Rotterdam to begin their instruction.

Italy has yet to comment on naval deployments, but the GNA in Tripoli confirmed that Italian ship had permission.

Spokesman for the Libyan navy Captain Ayub Gassem dismissed the allegations, saying that the ship in Libyan waters was involved in training.

He said it was involved in training with the Libyan coastguard in waters of the Gulf of Sirte, as part of joint efforts to combat migrant smugglers.

The complaint from Beida coincides with Italy becoming the first country to re-open its Tripoli embassy since the diplomatic exodus following the takeover of the city in July 2014 by Libya Dawn and the interim government having to flee to Beida.

The reopening and the support from Italy for the PC has considerably annoyed the eastern authorities. This week Rome’s interior minister Marco Minniti was in Tripoli for talks with PC head Fayez Serraj in a show of support ahead of the embassy reopening announcement.

According to Minniti, 90 percent of the illegal migrants arriving in Italy last year came from Libya. His country’s migration centres were struggling to host any more, he added.

 

Tags: featuredItalyLibyaSan Giorgio

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Two soldiers and one militant leader die in fresh Ganfouda battle

Two soldiers and one militant leader die in fresh Ganfouda battle

Serraj seems an outsider at France-Africa summit in Mali

Serraj seems an outsider at France-Africa summit in Mali

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Aldabaiba calls on CBL Governor to halt all 2026 project spending across Libya – until the newly US-brokered unified spending agreement is adhered to

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.