No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Hafter willing to help stop illegal migrants but wants helicopters and drones to prevent incursions in south

byMichel Cousins
September 30, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Vanessa Tomassini.

Milan, 30 September 2017:

Khalifa Hafter has said that his Libyan National Army (LNA) can help stop the flow of illegal migrants from across the southern borders heading north to travel on to Europe, but needs military equipment from Europe to do the job.

“For the control of borders in South, I can provide manpower, but Europeans must send aid: drones, helicopters, night vision goggles, vehicles”, he said in an interview with Italian national daily Corriere della Sera while in Rome earlier this week for talks with the Italian government.

He indicated that the visit had opened a new chapter in relations with Italy. The two sides, he said, had clarified their positions to the satisfaction of the other.

RELATED POSTS

Wahda bank to introduce ‘‘Edei’’ – the first palm-scan payment service in Libya

Libya Development and Reconstruction Fund signs ”strategic agreements” with ”several large” US Companies

“It was necessary and was very useful to smooth out many mutual misunderstandings,” he explained, noting that he had had talks with Italian defence minister Roberta Pinotti, interior minister Marco Minniti, chief of defence General Claudio Graziano and the head of intelligence. The meetings had been about more than making decision, he said; the two sides had explained their positions and their views.

He also revealed that he and the Italians had talked about what he said was a common commitment to the fight terrorism.

In relation to both this and stopping the migrant flows, there had to be an end to the arms embargo, he insisted. With an apparent eye on the fact that Italy is currently a member of the UN Security Council, he explained that while he appreciated that Italy had to uphold the embargo, it had to be revoked.

“For a long time I’ve asked that this embargo should be annulled in regard to our national army.” All European countries interested in stopping migrants should support its withdrawal, he said.

Hafter also noted that defence minister Pinotti had already agreed training programmes for Libyan soldiers in Italy, expecting this to be widened and extended.

As to Libya’s political crisis, he said that a political solution would be the best answer but military solutions could not be ruled out.

“It’s obvious that we prefer the political routes, but when these don’t work there must be other solutions,” he said, noting that terrorists in Libya had been defeated “not through diplomatic channels but with weapons”.

In the interview he was also particularly critical of moves by Italy and others to use militias that had been involved in smuggling to now stop it.

“Tomorrow they will fight among themselves for a share of the spoils; it will be a never-ending blackmail,” he said, referring to the current fighting in Sabratha between the Anti-IS Operations Rooam and the Amu Brigade which had been involved in smuggling and many of whose members had been incorporated into the Presidency Council’s army as part of the 48th Battalion.

Italy has denied reports that it paid it €5 million to act as a local anti-smuggling police force.

Tags: HafterItalyLibya

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Hafter "briefs" French FM Le Drain on Italian talks: report

Killers of Warfala mediators reported arrested

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.