No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

NOC’s Sanalla wants PFG to lift west pipeline blockade

byNigel Ash
May 10, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Tripoli NOC chairman Sanalla blast Kobler for meet (Photo: Libya Herald)
NOC chairman Mustafa Sanalla  (Photo: Libya Herald)

Tripoli,  19  September 2016:

Seeking to capitalise on the removal from Petroleum Facilities Guard control of the eastern oil export terminals, National Oil Corporation chairman Mustafa Sanalla has demanded other PFG units end their blockade of a western pipeline.

“The events in the Oil Crescent must have made it clear to everybody that the use of blockade as a tactic in our politics is a dead end,” said  Sanalla, adding. “The blockade by the southern PFG has cost Libyan people all over the country food, schoolbooks, medicines, salaries, and electricity, and it has achieved nothing”. He said that the production stoppage had cost Libya ore than $27 billion in lost revenues.

Sanalla wants the reopening of the pipelines at Reyayna which link the Sharara and El Fil fields in the south-west with respectively the Zawia refinery and the Mellitah gas-processing complex to the west of Tripoli. The line from the Sharara wells has been shut down for almost two years.  The El Fil pipeline was shut down in April last year.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Sanalla said that if the blockade was lifted immediately NOC could bring on stream 125,000 b/d before the end of the year, boosting it to 350,000 b/d by the middle of next year.

“Nationally, we can have oil production back up to 600,000 b/d within a month, 900,000 b/d by the end of the year, and 1.2 million b/d within twelve months” he said, “But for that to happen, we need the pipelines at Reyayna to be unblocked by the southern PFG”.

These figures however, he said could only be achieved if the Presidency Council released “essential budgeted funds”. Since it keeps none of the proceeds of oil sales, which go straight to the Central Bank, the NOC has long been beholden to governments to fund it. This has often led to chronic cash shortages. Under Qaddafi, the state oil firm even defaulted on loan repayments because if could not persuade the finance ministry to hand over any money.

Sanalla clearly believes that unless NOC is given enough money to repair and maintain not just the Sharara and El Fil pipelines but the company’s entire infrastructure, not least the combat-damaged export terminals at Sidra and Ras Lanuf, it will not meet these production goals.

“There is a growing consensus, ” said Sanalla, “that our oil can be a force for unity. It is the only resource available to us to finance our reconstruction. Instead of hurting each other, we should be cooperating to generate as much revenue as we can for the benefit of all Libyans. It is time to let Libya’s oil flow freely and get Libya back on its feet.”

This afternoon, the tanker Seadelta, which had broken off loading at Ras Lauf yesterday when Jadhran’s PFG launched an abortive counterattack against the army, returned to the loading jetty where, a port official told Reuters, another tanker, the Syra was also due to start lifting  cargo. Yesterday another tanker left Brega with 600,000 tons of crude.

Tags: El-FilfeaturedJadhranLibyaNOCPFGSanallaShararawestern pipeline

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
UN secretary-general commends Serraj on his leadership

UN secretary-general commends Serraj on his leadership

Germany-Malta-Libya Business Encounter to take place next week

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.