No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Presidency Council claims green-light for unity government now given; Dialogue group disagrees

byMichel Cousins
March 13, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Presidency Council claims green-light for unity government now given; Dialogue group disagrees

Presidency Council statement

By Libya Herald staff.

Presidency Council statement
The Presidency Council statement

Tunis, 13 March 2016:

The Presidency Council has claimed that its proposed 13-ministry government has effectively been given the . . .[restrict]go-ahead by the endorsement signed by some hundred members of the House of Representatives (HoR) last month and by the Libya Dialogue in its statement on Thursday.

As a result, it said yesterday, all the country’s sovereign institutions must now deal with it alone as the legitimate administration. So too must the international community and international organisations.

The Presidency Council’s claim, however, contradicts what was said by members of the Libya Dialogue in their declaration on Thursday. It fell short of appointing the government on the basis of the 100-HoR member statement. While recognising the latter’s validity, it still called on the HoR to formally endorse the government.  It also told the Council to go to Tripoli and prepare for the government’s arrival.

RELATED POSTS

As Tripoli PM Aldabaiba fills two vacant ministerial posts, Presidency Council expresses a split over the legality of their appointment

Benghazi Court of Appeal issues two rulings stipulating that it does not have jurisdiction to hear appeals against decrees issued by Presidency Council

Privately, though, a number of Dialogue members added that if the HoR did not quickly approve the government, the legal requirement for it to do so in the Libyan Political Agreement (LPA) would be rescinded.

In the meantime, however, yesterday’s Presidency announcement is now being contested by a number of members of the Libya Dialogue who did not turn up to Thursday’s meeting. Ten in all, they include former ambassador to Rome Abdulhafed Gaddur who represents Mahmud Jebril’s National Forces Alliance, Mohamed Darrat of the National Front and Jamal Ashour of Abdulhakim Belhaj’s Nation Party.

They said that the announcement went against the LPA and was a wrong interpretation of what the Dialogue members had said. It was for the HoR alone to vote on the government, they insisted. The fact that it had not till now done so, they added, indicated underlying problems with the government’s composition and the LPA itself.

The statement
The statement by dissenting HoR members 
[/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaPresidency Council

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Army to evacuate remaining families in Benghazi’s embattled Gwarsha district

New Benghazi passport office draws crowds

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.