No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Confirmed death of Tripoli child from H1N1 swine flu

byNigel Ash
February 9, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Confirmed death of Tripoli child from H1N1 swine flu

The H1N1 Swine flu virus (Photo: WHO)

By Saber Ayyub.

The H1N1 Swine flu virus (Photo: WHO)
The H1N1 Swine flu virus (Photo: WHO)

Tripoli, 8 February 2016:

One child has died and another is seriously ill with H1N1 (swine flu) virus, according the . . .[restrict]the National Disease Control Centre in Tripoli. There are five further unconfirmed cases. The death took place at the Al-Jalaa Children’s hospital last Thursday.

The young, elderly and infirm are most at risk from swine flu.

The World Health Organisation has not yet listed a Libyan outbreak of the virus. So far this year it has only recorded in January a few cases in Pakistan, in Multan and Lahore.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

Libya prepares to assess safety of health facilities using Hospital Safety Index

However one Tripoli doctor, who did not wish to be named, told this newspaper that he believed that the H1N1 virus has been in the capital since at least December. This had been denied by the medical authorities as recently as 30 January. Most medical centres however lacked the necessary diagnostic tools to identify it.

“Personally, I think there are more than two cases” he said “ in the last two days I have been concerned about three cases. Without proper diagnosis, lives are going to be lost”.

He added that stocks of the vaccine Tamiflu were held in medical centres.

The WHO did not respond today to the questions about its understanding of the possible presence of swine flu in Libya.

The organisation’s standard advice on symptoms and infection runs:  “Once a person has contracted the swine flu, they will notice similar symptoms found with any influenza virus, fever, cough, body aches and so on. The swine flu is more commonly known as a respiratory infection, which is caused by the virus that at one time, was only found among pigs.

“The virus directly attacks the respiratory tract including the nose, throat, and lungs. The only difference seen between the swine flu and other influenza viruses is that some cases of vomiting and diarrhoea have been noted with swine flu.

“Once a human has contracted the swine flu, it is passed onto other humans through the air from coughs or sneezes or by touching an infected person and then touching your eyes, nose, or mouth. After being in contact with a person with swine flu symptoms occur within one to four days and the person is contagious from this time until all symptoms have gone”. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredH1N1Libyaswine flueTripoliWHO

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post
Ansar Al-Sharia in Derna claims it shot down MiG-23 today

Ansar Al-Sharia in Derna claims it shot down MiG-23 today

GNA would have little credibility if not in Tripoli: British ambassador Millett

GNA would have little credibility if not in Tripoli: British ambassador Millett

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.