No Result
View All Result
Saturday, August 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Violent clashes in Ajdabiya: council member among dead

byMichel Cousins
December 19, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Saber Ayyub and Ajnadin Mustafa

Tripoli, 18 December 2015:

Continuing heavy clashes in Ajdabyia which broke out on Wednesday between the pro-Islamist . . .[restrict]Adjabiya Revolutionaries’ Shoura Council (ARSC) and Salafist fighters supporting the Libyan National Army (LNA) have left some 17 people dead, according to the local reports. A further 27 have been wounded; they include non-comnbatants..  The fighting started when a member of Al-Sharia, part of ARSC, was accused of murdering a local man outside a mosque. Salafist youths quickly joined the fight which then spread.

“The clashes started between a Salafist group linked to the LNA and an Ansar Al-Sharia group in the western suburb of the town,” a local resident told the Libya Herald. “No formal units of the army have entered the town today apart from some members of 302 brigade which secures the western side of Benghazi city,” he added.

One of the those killed today was said to be local municipal councillor Abdulmonem Al-Fakieh, who was close to the clashes. He was shot apparently by a stray bullet.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Ajdabiya mayor Salem Jadhran has called for a ceasefire and for the combatants to respect the town’s civilian population.  He is reported saying there had been indiscriminate shelling of residential areas but that the two sides had agreed to stop fighting today. The ARSC, however, is reported to have said that no truce had been accepted.

The clashes came after the mayor had rejected an announcement by the LNA that it was going to target ARSC positions in the town. He claimed that local forces could deal with the militants themselves.

Salem’s brother, Ibrahim Jadhran has kept his Petroleum Facilities Guards out of the fight although they have been seen mobilising in Ajdabiya’s suburbs.

Meanwhile, the local Mohamed Magarief hospital says that it is having to deal with the wounded despite acute shortages of medical supplies including anaesthetics and blood for transfusions, and of staff because of the dangerous situation.  A spokesman said that it was working round the clock, denying reports that it had been evacuated because of the fighting.

Expressing his own concern about the Ajdabiya fighting, UN Special Anvoy Martin Kobler said today that civilians had to be protected and that anyone involved in indiscriminate attacks and attacks targeting civilians could find themselves been  prosecuted for war crimes.  The fight against terrorism, he said, “has to respect international humanitarian principles”.

  [/restrict]

Tags: ajdabiyaLibya

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Russian tanker crew released, save captain and two officers

Russian tanker crew released, save captain and two officers

New Serraj government must be protected in Tripoli: Ban Ki-moon

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.