No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

LNA plans military operations in Ajdabiya; mayor objects

bySami Zaptia
December 15, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
LNA plans military operations in Ajdabiya; mayor objects

The LNA has warned of its intended attack on terror and IS targets in Ajdabiya.

By Saber Ayyub.

The LNA has warned of its intended attack on terror and IS targets in Ajdabiya.
The LNA has warned of its intended attack on terror and IS targets in Ajdabiya.

Tripoli, 15 December 2015:

The Joint Military Operations of the Libyan National Army (LNA) in Ajdabiya has said that it . . .[restrict]is going to launch fresh military operations in the town’s suburbs against the so-called Islamic State (IS) and other jihadist groups. However, the town’s mayor, Salem Jadhran, has sent a message to the LNA opposing the move, saying that local army forces to were able to deal with the matter.

In leaflets distributed in the town yesterday, the LNA called on locals to secure the town centre but also warned that any buildings thought to be used by militants as weapons stores or for any other purpose would be targeted in air strikes. In the leaflets, the LNA stressed it did not see Ajdabiya itself as an enemy nor was it intent on targeting any family or tribe. The raids, it stated, would be focused purely against those terrorists who had murdered army officers and soldiers as well as other individuals recently and who wanted Ajdabiya to follow Sirte and fall under the control of IS.

The LNA added it would not carry out revenge attacks against the families of suspected militants such as setting their homes on fire or forcing them to flee the town.

RELATED POSTS

Hafter’s army is ‘brutally crushing’ freedom of expression and peaceful assembly in Libyan territories under its control: Amnesty

Aldabaiba proposes new Road Map for holding elections, loans and land for youth and money for healthcare for war wounded

However, there was a warning to fighters with the Libya Shield forces in Ajdabiya, which are linked to the pro-Islamist Ajdabiya Revolutionaries Shoura Council: they could support the LNA in the war against terrorism and be accepted as heroes or they could stand with the militants and be destroyed.

Responding to the threat, Mayor Jadhran said while terrorism and IS posed a threat to the town, the army had to keep out of the fight. Any attempt to turn Ajdabiya into a battlefield would be a violation of international law, he suggested. “We are able to eradicate terrorism and bring the perpetrators to justice,” he claimed. He suggested that the local units of the border control forces would do the job.

There was no mention of the Petroleum Facilities Guard, led by his brother Ibrahim Jadhran who has a bitter relationship with the LNA and its leader General Khalifa Hafter.

The town has seen a growing wave of killings in the town over the past year which no force has managed to prevent or bring the perpetrators to justice. In response to them, the LNA had already launched air strikes in November and earlier this month – similarly to little effect. [/restrict]

Tags: ajdabiyafeaturedISLNA Libyan National Armyterrorist

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Maltese hospital doctor seized in Tripoli

IS latest Sirte killings include murder of “witch”

IS latest Sirte killings include murder of "witch"

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.