No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Kufra ready to seek help from ”neighbouring states” says town council 

byNigel Ash
September 23, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ajnadin Mustafa.

Kufra
Kufra looking for foreign protection (File photo)

Tripoli, 22 September 2015:

Kufra’s town council has threatened to turn to neighbouring states help to fill the security gap caused by the “continuous . . .[restrict]inability of both the governments in the east and west of Libya to protect Kufra residents against armed bands.”

Referring to Sunday’s incident, in which armed men stormed the town, the council said: “all options are on the table for seeking help from foreign groups and brotherly states, near neighbours or far countries, to protect and secure Kufra residents.”

The councillors accused both the Libyan administrations, based in Tripoli and Beida, of negligence in failing to properly maintain the town’s security, “in order to serve their agendas in fighting one another.”

RELATED POSTS

Transport Minister and Undersecretary of Defence visit Chad capital N’Djamena to discuss direct flights, border security and illegal migration

Tripoli Transport Minister seeking to activate Transit Roads to Niger and Sudan

The council maintained that Sunday’s attack was launched by a group of “Libyan Tebus and Chadians with the support of Sudanese rebels, who are roaming the country’s desert in the absence of the Libyan government.”

It is believed that the weekend assault on Kufra was carried out mainly by forces from JEM, the main Darfur movement that has been rebelling against the Sudanese government. They are thought to have been joined by Chadian mercenaries.

This makes the issue even more sensitive for the majority Zwai tribesmen in Kufra since Muammar Qaddafi used to fund JEM’s Darfur rebellion and also persuaded it to attack Kufra during the revolution.

Though the council did not spell it out, an informed source says that the foreign help it is thinking of seeking would be from Egypt or Sudan, but particularly Egypt.

Until earlier this year there was still a notional Libyan-Sudanese joint frontier force based in Kufra, from which Libya formally pulled out last month .

Though it has protested its support for the internationally recognised government in the east, Sudan has been accused of giving material support to Libya Dawn. Egypt however is now unequivocal in its support for the government. [/restrict]

Tags: ChadDarfurEgyptfeaturedforeign protectionJEMLibyaSudanTebutown council

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Suq Al-Juma sees foreigners as responsible for Libya's woes

Fresh fighting in Zawia

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.