No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Two Libyan soldiers convicted of UK rape

byNigel Ash
May 16, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Two Libyan soldiers convicted of UK rape

By Libya Herald reporter.

Libya cadets convicted of rape
Moktar Ali Saad Mahmoud and Ibrahim Abugtila each given 12 years for . . .[restrict]rape

London, 15 May 2015:

Two  Libyan army cadets have each been jailed in the UK  for 12 years for male rape while three others were given sentences of between ten months and a year for sexual assault.

All the crimes were carried out last October in the university town of Cambridge, not far from the British Army camp at Bassingbourn where 300 Libyan cadets had arrived for training that June.

The court was told that the cadets had gone on a drunken rampage in which two of them, Moktar Ali Saad Mahmoud, 33, and Ibrahim Abugtila, 23, had chased a man, “like hunting dogs” and raped him in a park. Three of their fellow cadets, Ibrahim El Maarfi, Mohammed Abdalsalam and Khaled El Azibi had admitted sexually assaulting four different women during the same evening.

RELATED POSTS

Chief of Staff of Libyan Army Al-Namroush discusses supporting pilot training, improving the Air College and developing Naval forces

Western based Libyan Army participates in Madrid’s 5+5 Defence Initiative meeting

The men were part of the first contingent of 2,000 Libyan soldiers to whom the UK had agreed to give six month basic training. Similar courses were conducted by the Italians while Turkey took a batch of police cadets for training outside Istanbul.

Sources close to the UK programme said that unlike the Italians, the British conducted minimal pre-selection of candidates before they left Libya for Bassingbourn. From the start, there were discipline issues among the cadets, who on one occasion raided the guardhouse to free a comrade who had been detained for leaving the barracks without permission.

Before October’s crimes in Cambridge, a number of the cadets had already been sent home.  As a result of the sex attacks, the British government abandoned the training programme and all the cadets were sent home last November.

The five men convicted today will all be deported back to Libya when they have served their sentences.

 

LCDF support banner [/restrict]

Tags: 33and Ibrahim AbugtilaBassingbourn BarracksLibyaLibyan armyMoktar Ali Saad Mahmoudrapetrial

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post
UNSMIL slams abductions and detentions in Libya

UNSMIL slams abductions and detentions in Libya

Thinni meets Tuareg leaders over humanitarian crisis in south

Thinni meets Tuareg leaders over humanitarian crisis in south

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.