No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

More Christians in Sirte seized: report

byMichel Cousins
January 3, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

3 January 2015:

Thirteen, possibly 16, Egyptian Coptic Christians were allegedly seized in Sirte today. The abduction follows the . . .[restrict]disappearance on three others in the town two days ago, the murder of a Coptic doctor and his wife who lived near Sirte eleven days ago and the subsequent murder of their 13-year-old daughter whose body was found two days later.

Jihadists and sympathisers are suspected. Sirte is increasingly controlled by Ansar Al-Sharia although Libya Dawn has a significant presence in the town.

In the incident two days ago, three Egyptian Christians were reportedly in a privately hired car with by a Libyan driver heading from their work at a construction site to the place they were staying. According to the driver, they were stopped by gunmen wearing military uniforms at a checkpoint. The gunmen apparently said the Egyptians’ residence visas were not in order and they had to go with them to investigate the matter. The driver, who was allowed to leave, then informed colleagues of the three who then went looking for them. They were reportedly told by the authorities that no one had been arrested that day.

RELATED POSTS

National Development Agency signs two strategic agreements with UAE’s Global Builders for Sirte projects

Egyptian dredger arrives in Sirte – starts dredging work in various marine projects

Today, it is reportedly that gunmen, again said to be in military uniform, went to a building in Sirte housing Egyptian workers and demanded identification papers. As many as 16 people were then arrested, all of them reportedly Copts. Two others, said to be Muslims, were let go.

Officials in Sirte, however, are reported saying they have had no complaints of any Egyptians in the town being abducted or harmed. A council member, Fawzi Abu Zeidan, was quoted by Buwabat Al-Wasat saying that the council had had no communication about the incidents and knew nothing about them.

A number of Copts have been murdered or abducted in Libya over the past year in what has been seen a campaign against Egyptian Christians across the country. It is not known, though, whether it is coordinated or who might be behind it.

In February last year, the bodies of seven Copts were found dead on a beach near Benghazi. They had been shot. Another murdered Copt was found on the same beach a month later. [/restrict]

Tags: ChristiansCoptsEgyptLibyaSirte

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Power and telecoms troubles on the rise

Eni-NA starts new offshore exploration drill

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.