No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Greece and GNC condemn Derna tanker bombing; LNA claims tanker aroused suspicion

byNewsdesk1
January 6, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Greece and GNC condemn Derna tanker bombing; LNA claims tanker aroused suspicion

Araevo

By Libya Herald staff.

Araevo
The Araevo (Photo: Social media)

Tripoli, 6 January 2015:

Both Greece and the former General National Congress (GNC) have condemned the 4 January attack . . .[restrict]by the Libyan National Army (LNA) on the Greek-owned tanker Araevo two miles from Derna’s seaport that killed two people.The LNA maintains claims the tanker aroused suspicion by not following the proper protocol for approaching the port.

The Greek government has said that it would continue to investigate into the case, “in spite of the volatility of the situation”, to make sure that those responsible for the attack were brought to justice and punished, and the families of the victims compensated. A Greek Foreign Ministry statement added that it was doing “everything humanly possible to facilitate the immediate repatriation of the Greek seaman’s remains”.

Greece was, it said, in contact with the UN Special Envoy to Libya Bernadino Leon and EU High Representative Federica Mogherini about the attack.

RELATED POSTS

Two Libyan olive oil brands win gold at Athens International Olive Oil Competition 2024

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

In a statement released Monday, the continuing GNC strongly condemned the airstrike, calling it a “cowardly act that constitutes a criminal offence”.

According to LNA spokesman Colonel Ahmed Mesmari, the tanker’s movements at the port of Derna had aroused suspicion and that it had been targeted because it had failed to submit to an inspection before entering the port and had chosen a different route, entering a “military zone”.

“We asked the ship to stop, but instead it turned off all its lights and would not respond so we were obliged to strike it,” Mesmari told the BBC.

Mesmari went on to say that the state-run National Oil Corporation (NOC) had been warned that ships should not dock at the port without prior permission, as the LNA has been watching the port for entering foreign fighters coming to join the Islamic militants that have been controlling Derna for the past two years.

Both Libya Dawn and the House of Representatives (HoR) have appointed their own officials to run the NOC and the oil ministry, which has lead to confusion over who controls what and who has shared information with whom.

For its part, the NOC has said that the Araevo was chartered by the NOC to ship 13,000 metric tonnes of fuel oil from the port in Brega to the port in Derna to fuel the eastern town’s power and desalination plants.

“We are extremely concerned about the vulnerability of the facilities in the oil and gas sector during the current conflict. The NOC wishes emphasise its impartiality and professionalism as we continue to ensure that fuel is distributed to all areas in Libya,” the NOC said Sunday in a statement.

One Greek and one Romanian were killed during Sunday’s airstrike, which damaged the front of the tanker. Athens-based operator of the Araevo, Aegean Shipping Enterprises, has confirmed that none of the oil spilled into the sea. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredGNCGreeceLibyaLibya DawnLibyan National ArmyNOC

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post

Audit Bureau suspends five Libyan diplomats in France, Germany, Spain Greece and Turkey

Online forum offers Libyans opportunity to discuss constitutional drafting process

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.