No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

East European “mercenaries” freed by Zintan in unexplained Moscow deal

byNigel Ash
October 9, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
East European “mercenaries” freed by Zintan in unexplained Moscow deal

The accused in the military court

By Hadi Fornaji.

The accused in the military court
The accused in the military court last year

Tripoli, 8 October 2014:

Much remains unclear about the release of 24 East Europeans, captured during the revolution and accused . . .[restrict]of being mercenaries and  maintaining military equipment in Qaddafi’s forces.

That they have now left Libya and arrived in Moscow seems certain but the terms under which they were released by the Zintanis is not. Rumours abound of a $50 million ransom and the delivery of Russian arms and ammunition. It was not possible to contact senior Zintanis for comment.

The men, two Russians and three Belorussians apparently along with 19 Ukrainians had originally been tried by a military court, where they were  found guilty of a range of crimes.  Their defence was that they were oil workers. They had been hired under false pretences and forced to work on military systems.  The Russian who had led the group was given a life sentence while the others were condemned to ten-years hard labour.

RELATED POSTS

HSC welcomes peaceful resolution of Tripoli government-SDF / RADA standoff over Mitiga airport and prison control

Nine Corpses found in mortuary fridges in Al-Khadra Hospital – disbanded SSA militia say they are Hafter’s mercenaries

Lawyers for the group appealed successfully on the grounds  that the men should have been tried in a civilian court. That fresh trial has been postponed repeatedly because of security concerns.

The men were captured and continued to be held by Zintanis . They were imprisoned  in Tripoli for long periods at a building off the Airport Road. However they were later moved to Zintan.

One of the Ukrainians, Anatoli Kozlow, aged 64 died in Zintan this summer. Therefore reports that 19 Ukrainians have returned must be wrong. A group picture carried by Russian media, apparently taken before the men left Libya, shows only 21 people.

The Russian foreign ministry has described the release as a triumph for “silent diplomacy”.

Ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich said that from the moment the men were arrested, Moscow had been working for their release.

“The main thing that we can say today” he added,  “is that all Russians have returned home. All of them are in good health. This equally concerns the citizens of Belarus and Ukraine, for whom we have been fighting as persistently as for our own nationals”.

There remain however four more Ukrainians captured at the revolution who have never even been brought to trial. They are held at his Mitiga base by a militia headed by Abdel Raouf Kara. A year ago Kara told the Libya Herald that the quartet would be tried as soon as there was “a proper and fair judicial system”, which he said did not exist. He also said that he could not accede the pressures to hand the men over to the government, because no real state existed.

 

 

  [/restrict]

Tags: Abdel Rauf KaraBelorussiansfeaturedimprisonmentLibyaMercenariesRussianUkrainianZintan

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post
Buraq  Air to resume flights on Sunday

Buraq Air to resume flights on Sunday

Libya and Egypt pledge closer security partnership

Libya and Egypt pledge closer security partnership

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.