No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Reporters Without Borders calls for government to protect journalists

byNewsdesk2
October 11, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tripoli, 11 August 2014:

Reporters Without Borders (RWB) released another report this week detailing a series of attacks on journalists . . .[restrict]in Libya and calling on the government to “do its duty” to protect civilians, including media personnel.

Reviewing the events of the past month including the clashes in Tripoli and Benghazi, RWB noted that over 200 people had died and more than 1,000 wounded. The organisation emphasised that shelling had taken place in residential areas, leading to civilian casualties, which Amnesty International has labeled war crimes.

In the midst of all of this, the media have continued to be under attack, RWB noted. It listed a number of instances  in the past month involving the abduction or intimidation of media. Last week Ajdabiya-based Barqa TV staff members were abducted near Derna while returning from reporting on the opening of the House of Representatives (HoR) in Tobruk. The five abductees have not been heard from since.

RELATED POSTS

Kidnaper in 2019 of 14 Tunisian nationals convicted for 12 years’ imprisonment

Five months on, GNMTC GM Tawati kidnapped again by armed militias

According to RWB, on 4 August militiamen under the command of Abdel Raouf Kara prevented the staff of state-run Al-Wataniya from broadcasting the HoR inaugural ceremonies, forcing all staff from the building. Reportedly, the militia ordered the station’s staff not to report on any HoR activities while at the same time demanding they report (positively) on Operation Libya Dawn, the name of the Misrata-led armed campaign against militias allied with the Zintanis.

Additionally, RWB reported that early this month three employees of the television station Alaseema were abducted while reporting from Tripoli’s Martyr’s Square. The journalists were covering demonstrations taking place there against the armed clashes happening in the capital. The men were released about five hours later. RWB speaks of the men were tortured while held at Mitiga Airbase.

The RWB statement said that journalists are becoming increasingly concerned about their personal safety in Libya as violence has increased, causing many to flee the country. RWB says it has given support to 10 journalists in exile in 2014 and recorded 60 violations of freedom of information.

The agency demanded the government protect Libya’s journalists and to bring to justice those who were responsible for crimes against the media.

“Journalists have a vital role to play in the new Libya, especially in building a viable and democratic state with a long-term future,” RWB said.

[/restrict]

Tags: kidnappingLibyareporters without borders

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Reports of new fuel depot fire as threat of planned LROR attack against Warshefana looms

Reports of new fuel depot fire as threat of planned LROR attack against Warshefana looms

Sixty-three Saiqa members killed and 200 wounded in July fighting

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.