No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Hassi’s rival Tripoli government seizes control of the Ministry of Oil, as production falls

byCallum Paton
September 22, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Farah Waleed.

NOC headquarters in Tripoli (photo: NOC)
NOC headquarters in Tripoli (photo: NOC)

Benghazi, 22 September 2014:

The Oil Minister for the rival Hassi government has given a press conference . . .[restrict]in Tripoli and apparently taken control of the Ministry of Oil Ministry buildings, declaring his intention to protect the country’s resources.

Speaking from inside the ministry yesterday, Hassi’s minister, Mashallah Al-Zwai, said he and his team would oversee the transfer of power from the previous Oil Minister Omar Al-Shakmak. Zwai called for a united Libya and said his ministry would safeguard Libya’s precious oil and gas.

The impact on the country’s vital exports remain unclear. Shakmak was unavailable for comment and Mohammed Al-Harrari, spokesman for the National Oil Corporation (NOC), which shares its premises with the Ministry of Oil, said the corporation did not intend to wade into what was a political issue.

RELATED POSTS

Akakus Oil’s drilling of new H-49 well in Sharara field completed with a production of 1,450 bpd

Akakus Oil Operations drills new Sharara field well with initial production of 1,750 bpd

Abdullah Al-Thinni, who is backed by the House of Representatives in Tobruk, last week proposed a government without a Minister for Oil. It is understood that gas and oil resources were to become completely the remit of the NOC.

National oil production, which had been making a resurgence, following the reopening of key eastern oil terminals, fell yesterday for the first time in months, from 870,000 barrels per day to 750,000 b/d.

The decrease has been attributed to the closure of Sharara oilfield because of fighting in the nearby town of Zawia. The area to the west of Tripoli, including Warshefana has been subjected to some of the worst violence in the country in recent weeks as Libya Dawn, spearheaded by the Libyan Revolutionaries’ Operations Room, battles with local forces. There has been speculation that the Misratan-led Libya Dawn forces have long coveted Sharara’s vast oil reserves.

In a confusing development, a new list of government ministers within Hassi’s rival cabinet has emerged on official social media pages. The list omits the position of Oil Minister, perhaps an indication that the Tripoli-based government also wishes the NOC to have autonomy over the country’s oil reserves.

[/restrict]

Tags: featiredfeaturedgasLibyaNOCoilproductionSharara oilfield

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
UN World Food Programme convoy arrives in western Libya

UN World Food Programme convoy arrives in western Libya

Floating hotel to leave Tobruk

Floating hotel to leave Tobruk

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.