By Noora Ibrahim and Moutaz Ahmed.
Benghazi, 24 September 2014:
Benghazi’s unprecedented wave of a brutal killings in recent days . . .[restrict]has continued, with eight individuals from the security services, civil society and other walks of life murdered in the city yesterday.
Head of Saiqa Special Forces Investigations Unit Fadel Al-Hassi told the Libya Herald that in addition to the deaths of local activist Ali Al-Misrati and Sheikh Salim Bayu a further six Benghazi residents had been killed. The bloodletting marks another day of what appears to be a city-wide campaign to instil fear in Benghazi residents, orchestrated by extremists.
Hassi said a second political activist, Ezzedine Al-Badri, 22-years old, was killed in the city’s Ben Younis district yesterday. He was shot near the Al-Sahra Mosque and died instantly. A friend, reportedly caught in the crossfire, is receiving treatment in Benghazi Medical Centre (BMC).
The city is still reeling from the deaths of 18-year-old blogger and activist Tawfiq Ben Saud and his 17-year-old friend Sami Al-Kwafi, also an activist, who were killed along with eight others on Friday. A total of 13 were targeted by assassinations in a single day.
Feras Khalifa Al-Keza, a former Arabian Gulf Oil Company manager and federalist activist, was killed in Hay Salem while returning to his home in Hey Dollar. Medical sources at BMC said Kiza had been shot several times and had been pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital. It is believed that he was murdered because of his support for federalism.
Three members of the armed forces were killed yesterday in separate assassinations, Hassi said. Mohammed Omar, Kamal Al-Kikli, who was killed in Gwarsha, and Wael Al-Amali who was shot dead in the Hadaiq district. Further details surrounding their murders are yet to emerge.
One other civilian, Muftah Ben Eid Ramadan, was also killed in the series of attacks. He was murdered in front of his Benghazi home.