No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya Shield seize Benghazi port following yesterday’s clashes

byCallum Paton
June 23, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Noora Ibrahim and Seraj Essul.

Benghazi/Tripoli, 22 June 2014:

Libya Shield No.1 took control of Benghazi port today following yesterday’s . . .[restrict]violent clashes there with Saiqa Special Forces which left seven dead and 13 wounded.

Head of Security at the port Ali Elumami told the Libya Herald that Libya Shield had entered the premises on foot and without technical vehicles. He could not give specific numbers for the strength of the force. The reason for the presumed withdrawal of Saiqa Special Forces from the area remains unknown.

Eyewitnesses on the ground said a standoff between Saiqa Special Forces and Libya Shield was underway in downtown Benghazi today after Libya Shield occupied the docks. One said the Shield had barricaded themselves behind  barriers made from shipping containers and that the whole of the city centre had been without power since yesterday. Many residents reportedly fled the area. Pockmarked buildings and four burnt-out police cars marked where the fighting had been.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

LBC Eastern Branch holds Benghazi Forum

“Today no one dared go there,” Elumami said. “There is, however, a chance that it [the port] will be returned to us if things go well,” he added.

Following an intervention by the Benghazi Crisis Committee, it appears that Libya Shield said it would return the port to the authorities. Arrangements for the handover have been made for tomorrow. “Neither side wants bloodshed,” Ali said.

A total of seven dead and 13 wounded have arrived at Benghazi Medical Centre (BMC) as a result of the clashes. The spokesman for BMC said Naval officer Yessir Elumami, Saiqa Rapid Response Unit member Omar Ali Wafali and the Head of Benghazi Joint Security Room’s (BJSR) Criminal Investigation Unit Wafi Mohammed Alabbar were among the dead. All three were transferred to BMC from Jalaa hospital during the course of the day. The identities of the remaining four men have not yet emerged.

With additional reporting from Ayman Amzein and Muttaz Ahmed.

[/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziLibyaLibya ShieldportSaiqa

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post
ELECTION 2014: A look at the numbers

ELECTION 2014: A look at the numbers

Hope Charity honours 5000 newly empowered underprivileged Libyan women

Hope Charity honours 5000 newly empowered underprivileged Libyan women

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.