No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Low registration for Benghazi municipal elections

byMichel Cousins
April 3, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Hadi Fornaji.

Benghazi, 2 April 2014:

Just 16 percent of Benghazi’s potential electors have registered to vote in the city’s . . .[restrict]municipal elections.    

Out of some 434,000 people eligible to vote in the city, 70,000 registered to participate in the polls according to the head of the Benghazi sub-committee of the Central Committee for Municipal Council Elections (CCMCE), Idris Al-Gadhi. 

Of these, 60 percent (42,312) were men and 40 percent (27,463) women, Gadhi told the Libya Herald.

RELATED POSTS

Libya’s Tika Construction Chemicals company exports another shipment of its Xtreme porcelain tile adhesive and grouting materials to Grenada

“Made in Libya” exhibition to be held in Benghazi from 10 to 13 August

Voter registration for the elections started on 16 January and was supposed to last until the end of January. In the event, because of low take-up,  the deadline was extended twice to try and encourage more residents to participate. The local Benghazi subcommittee of the CCMCE had been hoping to register 130,000 people. Although the final figure is almost 20,000 more than the 50,000 who had registered a month ago, it is still seen as lamentably low.

It is way down on the 216,146 people who registered to vote in the May 2012 Benghazi local elections – and that figure was seen as disappointing at the time. It too was achieved by extending the registration period twice and a vigorous campaign to encourage people to register.

According to Gadhi, 77 candidates have registered – 64 for the seven general seats,10 for the single seat reserved for a women, and three for the seat reserved for a wounded revolutionary.

“We’ve submitted the 77 files to the Public Officials Standards Commission to investigate them”, Gadhi said.

The election date has yet to be decided. “We will announce the date of the electoral campaign period and the date of the elections once the subcommittee receives statements on the 77 candidates from the Political Isolation Law committee” he explained.

All logistical support would be available for the planned 287 polling stations, he said but noted that the subcommittee’s biggest concern was the security. The fear is that a vacuum could prevent voting taking place.

  [/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziLibya

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Arson attack destroys Tawergha Local Council office in Tripoli

Libya reinforces commitment to peace and security at EU-Africa Summit

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.