No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Zeidan calls on Congress to rehabilitate the royal family

byMichel Cousins
September 29, 2020
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Zeidan calls on Congress to rehabilitate the royal family

King Idris

By Michel Cousins.

King Idris
King Idris

Tripoli, 6 February 2014:

The Prime Minister has asked the General National Congress pass a law recognising the historic role King Idris played in the creation of Libya and to repeal Qaddafi’s laws against the royal family. These, said Ali Zeidan in a letter to the GNC President Nuri Abu Sahmain, included death sentences against members of the family as well the confiscation of their property and stripping them of Libyan nationality.

It was time, Zeidan said, that Libyans recognised, and let the world know, the wrongs done to the royal family by Qaddafi as well as that King Idris had been the leader of the struggle for Libyan independence. He had been eager to build a modern state, Zeidan said. He should be recognised by Libya as its founder. 

The proposed law to Congress submitted by the Prime Minister contains three clauses. The first states that the role and positions of the late king, Queen Fatima, Crown Prince Hassan and his family are of historic value. The second states that “all wrongs created by the tyrant Qaddafi” against the king and the royal family be declared “null and void”;  the third, that Congress ensures the above decisions are implemented.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

King Idris, born in 1889 at Jaghbub in south eastern Libya, was head of the Senussi movement and family that led the opposition to the Italians during the colonial period. His abdication announcement in August 1969 in favour of his nephew, the Crown Prince, due to have come into effect on 2 September, prompted Qaddafi’s coup a day earlier. A frugal man, he died in Cairo in 1983 and was buried at Medina in Saudi Arabia. Queen Fatima died in 2009 and was likewise buried in Medina.

Qaddafi’s hatred of the Senussis was such that the Crown Prince and his family were forced to live in a Tripoli beach cabin for four years before finally being allowed to go for medical treatment in 1988 to London where he died in 1992.

Crown Prince Hassan’s heir is Prince Mohamed Al-Rida.

The properties owned by the royal family were not many, and were mainly in Tobruk, although the British Residence near the Foreign Ministry in Tripoli’s Zawiat Al-Dahmani was owned by Queen Fatima.  

The King’s Palace in Tripoli along with the Crown Prince’s Palace, now the Egyptian Ambassador’s residence, and the royal farm at Swani were state property rather than privately owned. 

Tags: Ali ZeidanCrown Prince HassanCrown Prince Mohamed Al-RidaGeneral National CongressKing IdrisLibyaNuri Abu SahmainQueen Fatima

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Libya's oil production at 478,329 bpd

18 pumps to avoid water cutoff in Benghazi

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.