No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Numerous successful cyber-attacks on government networks

byNihal Zaroug
September 5, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Numerous successful cyber-attacks on government networks

Under (Photo: Ministry of Communications and Informatics)

By Staff Writers.

CIM Undersecretary Mohamed Bilras Ali, address recent act of sabotage on underwater cable in Derna (Photo: Ministry of Communications and Informatics)

Tripoli, 4 September, 2013:

Government websites and Facebook pages have been subject to breaches said Mohamed Bilras Ali, the undersecretary . . .[restrict]of the Ministry of Communications and Informatics (CIM).

Bilras Ali told Ajwa Leblad News that hacks were numerous, making sites vulnerable. The undersecretary did not specify who was responsible for the intrusions and did not confirm if the attacks were acts of sabotage or for spying.

In a statement to Libya Herald, Deputy Director of the National Information Security & Safety Authority (NISSA), Esam Abulkhirat, indicated that in 2013, several sites with the Libyan “.ly” domain had been hacked and compromised, in what is known as “website defacement”. Deficiencies in web design and the lack of periodical security updates were the primary reasons for the successful attacks. The affected sites have been identified and problems fixed, stated Abulkhirat, adding that educational leaflets were distributed to site administrators, to help them avoid and manage such problems.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

On the day of first direct Tripoli to Rome flight, MoU signed between Libyan Civil Aviation and its Italian counterpart

The National Information Security & Safety Authority is spearheading a drive for state institutions secure systems for the exchange of information. Under the patronage of the Ministry of Communication, NISSA organised Libya’s first conference on cyber security  at the Corinthia Hotel last week. The annual event aims to “promote and support the use of secure information technology resources and communications, as well as the prevention, detection and effective response to associated risks”.

Osama Siala, Minister of Communications and Informatics, speaking at Libya’s first Cyber Security conference. (Photo: Ministry of Communications)

In opening remarks, Minister of Communications, Osama Siala, said modern technology and the importance it played in various aspects of daily life, meant that cyber security was critical. Indeed, it was among the most important issues facing the country. Online users needed to trust the systems.

However, it is not only electronic sites that have been subject to attacks.

On 28 August, an act of physical sabotage destroyed the main entry point that houses the fibre optic cable in Derna. The destruction resulted in damage to the underwater cable and interrupted internet service to Tobruk, Sousse and Derna. Other areas were unaffected  said Bilras Ali, services continued thanks to an automated back up system.

In a statement appearing on the Ministry’s website, Bilras Ali apologized for the interruption and appealed to the public to help avoid a reoccurrence of such events, adding that work to fix the damages was ongoing, as well as investigations to identify the culprits.

 

With additional input from Nihal Zaroug. [/restrict]

Tags: Conferencecyber securityLibyaTripoli

Related Posts

Zueitina Oil Co. successfully tests new B1-106/4 well with production rate exceeding 3,000 bpd
Business

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

May 22, 2026
Mellitah Oil and Gas launches its tree planting campaign at El-Feel oil field
Business

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

May 22, 2026
Mitiga airport closure to continue due to militia fighting
Business

Malta Civil Aviation Authority’s Security Department visits Tripoli’s Mitiga airport with view to restarting flights

May 22, 2026
Minister of Economy visits Tripoli Port – discusses accelerating goods processing time to reduce cost of imports
Business

Minister of Economy visits Tripoli Port – discusses accelerating goods processing time to reduce cost of imports

May 22, 2026
Tripoli Chamber invites investment proposals for its buildings
Business

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

May 21, 2026
Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91
Business

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

May 21, 2026
Next Post

Breaking news: kidnapped Senussi daughter freed

Now water cuts on top of Tripoli’s electricity and fuel misery

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.