No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Man-Made River “cut”; western Libya could face water shortage

byNigel Ash
May 20, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Man-Made River “cut”; western Libya could face water shortage

By Seraj Essul and Elabed Elraqubi

The $2- billion Man-Made River under construction, to bring water from desert aquifers to the coast

Tripoli and Sebha, 3 September 2013:

Western Libya could face water shortages because part of the Man-Made . . .[restrict]River from Sebha has been cut by tribesmen protesting the abduction of Anoud Senussi. She was seized by gunmen as she left a Tripoli prison yesterday on her way to Sebha to rejoin her family.

Salah Abu Khazam chairman of Gira local council told the Libya Herald this evening that Magarha tribesmen had cut the power to some of the pumps on the western branch of the MMR to the north of Sebha. Though he said that he had not visited the site, he believed that the power supply had been stopped yesterday, shortly after news of Anoud’s kidnap.

It is understood that the tribesmen avoided the main pumping station at Jebel al-Hasauna, 210k north of Gira, because it is well protected. Instead they struck at a smaller pumping area at Ashwerif, which is reportedly guarded by Magarha tribe members.

RELATED POSTS

CBL Board hold second 2025 meeting in Sebha, discusses revenues, foreign exchange and banking services

Libyan and Tunisian dates companies meet in Sebha to explore international export cooperation

The tribesmen restarted the flow a few hours later but have given the government 72 hours in which to find and recover Senussi’s daughter from her kidnappers.  Otherwise, they say they will cut the flow permanently. This evening it was understood that Water Resources Minister Alhadi Suleiman Hinshir had flown into Sebha for talks with tribal elders. He told this newspaper that he could only say that negotiations were under way. He added that Prime Minister Ali Zeidan would be making a full statement tomorrow, Wednesday.

The $25-billion MMR brings water from aquifers deep in the desert to the north of the country. The system was designed to have reservoirs storing up to 60 million cubic metres of water. It is unclear just how much water is currently stored in western Libya in these open reservoirs, which critics have long said lose 20 percent of their contents through evaporation.

The temporary stoppage of the MMR was not the only action taken today by angry Magarha tribesmen. The north-south A7 highway was blocked from early this morning until around 1:00pm. The road was reopened after the head of Ashweref local council, Mohammed Salem, led a negotiating team to the protestors.

It is also reported that a flight from Tunisia to Sebha was this afternoon diverted to Tripoli, because of concerns over the security at the airport, which some protestors have said will be closed if Anoud is not released unharmed.

The seriousness of a stop to western Libya’s water supply from the MMR, appeared to be underlined by the news that elders from Zintan may have joined elders from Sebha to take part in the negotiations.

[/restrict]

Tags: Anoud SenussiblockagefeaturedLibyaman-made riverMarganiSebha

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post

Assassination attempt against retired colonel in Adjabiya

Graves desecrated in Mizdah

Graves desecrated in Mizdah

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.